• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cleaning up a Bitmap image...what are my options?

New Here ,
Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a bunch of historical documents that were scanned as bitmaps, and saved to a PDF. The text is fuzzy, and the client has asked me to clean them up. If this was grayscale, I'd be able to, but does anyone have a great workaround for cleaning up Bitmap images? I've tried Levels, Curves, Auto Contrast, Sharpening...which would all work to some degree if the document were anything BUT bitmap. What am I missing?!

Thanks, geniuses.
Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 10.49.28 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Blurred first then used  Unsharp Mask. Better but far from good.Screen+Shot+2018-03-12+at+10.49.28+AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to convert them to grayscale to apply any (Smart) Filters (in this case maybe Dust&Scratches), then you should (in my opinion) save those layered Files and save bitmap copies off them.

But as always: Garbage in, garbage out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I forgot to mention that I had converted them to grayscale to work with them. It's just that with bitmap, it's already either black or white...so nothing is really changing that much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you need to use a meaningful Filter like Dust&Scratches.

so nothing is really changing that much!

For the Adjustments you mentioned probably »not al all«, don’t forget to view the results at View > 100%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might be better to consider re-scanning using OCR, you will then have proper searchable, useable, readable digital text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No argument there, but as the OP mentioned

historical documents that were scanned as bitmaps

I suspect the actual pages might not be at their disposal at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish that were an option! These are historic documents (some from the 1800s). I'm not even sure the originals exist anymore!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's worth it, it might be worth experimenting to see if this text can be digitised into live text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great idea, but these are legal, historical documents, so they really can't be changed in any meaningful way (just cleaned up, etc.).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best combination – if you have the resources – is to have the rasterised image so users can see the original image design and OCR text that's readable and searchable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blurred first then used  Unsharp Mask. Better but far from good.Screen+Shot+2018-03-12+at+10.49.28+AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the best I've found as well. Yours is a bit better than mine with that method. Do you remember what your settings were?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I mentioned earlier: Garbage in, garbage out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Gaussian blur was around 6.5, then about 500% and 14 pixel radius for sharpening. Make the layer a smart object first, then you can tweak them as needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, edgrimley. This will definitely work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is similar topic in Photoshop Scripting section. That won't give you what you want, but I see it is somehow related as was made to clean old documents. Last version of script is not posted as a whole but in 3 parts, so do not think that correct solution have everything there should be. If later someone wants to have a script as a whole let me know so I post it in one piece: How to remove small black dots from text page - selecting pixel radius via script

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines