• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Deleting photos from disk - disappearing pop-up.

Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2018 Mar 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed there are several threads regarding this issue, but reading through them I've not been able to get a clear answer. When I first import photos to a new collection (using the "Add" option) and proceed to develop them, clicking delete on any selected photo brings up the pop-up asking me whether I want to delete from the disk or just from Lightroom... this is very useful of course since I want to be able to discard unwanted photos and clear space on my PC. As soon as I import more photos, to another collection, I then loose the option to delete from disk & this pop-up no longer appears... so it seems that I only have this option for the latest collection. Strangely, I only need to click on Import again without even creating a new collection to have the same issue occur... today I went to import some more photos, but then changed my mind since I hadn't finished editing the current collection, but I lost the ability to delete from disk again. To put it simply, could someone please tell me how I can bring back this option to collections, surely this must be an option?? Thank you and please excuse my rambling on. I am using the latest version of Lightroom Classic CC for Windows 10.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

One explanation and then I will give up: when you import images, you can have Lightroom automatically select the 'Current Import' collection (which becomes 'Previous Import' when the import is finished). In older versions that always happened, now it's a choice in the preferences. Maybe that happened with you and -as said- from this collection you can delete images from the catalog and from the disk. If you turned this off in the preferences, and now you have one of your own collections selected

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2018 Mar 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The dialog only appears when you delete a photo while you're in a folder, or in special collections like 'All Photographs' and 'Previous Import'. When you press the delete key while you're in a normal collection, the photo will only be removed from that particular collection, not from the Lightroom catalog and so there is also no option to delete it from disk.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please elaborate? I have imported my photos into a new collection & this dialogue was previously appearing when deleting a photo. It is no longer appearing, could you please explain how I can get this dialogue to reappear?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I get the photos I am editing to be "in a folder" or a special collection. Previously, I was simply in the collection and the dialogue was appearing fine each time I went to delete a photo. I have the collection selected as I did before and the dialogue has gone. What do I need to do differently to have this option come back? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read my comment again. You cannot get this dialog when you have selected a normal collection in the Collections panel on the left. You will only get it when you have selected a folder in the Folders panel, or when you have selected 'All Photograps' or 'Previous Import' all the way at the top left.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not see a Folders panel on the left, is there a way to make it appear? You say I cannot get this dialog when you have selected a normal collection in the collections panel, well this isn't true because as I have stated numerous times this dialog was appearing for me whilst I was in the collection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Panels I have available are Navigator, Presets, Snapshots, History, Collections. There's no Folders panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to switch to the Library module.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but this isn't true. I have been successful deleting photos from within the Develop module... Upon creating a new collection, with the collection selected in the Collections panel, the dialogue appears asking whether I wish to delete from the disk or from Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One explanation and then I will give up: when you import images, you can have Lightroom automatically select the 'Current Import' collection (which becomes 'Previous Import' when the import is finished). In older versions that always happened, now it's a choice in the preferences. Maybe that happened with you and -as said- from this collection you can delete images from the catalog and from the disk. If you turned this off in the preferences, and now you have one of your own collections selected, then you will see exactly what I have been telling you all along.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gregorydewode  wrote

I do not see a Folders panel on the left, is there a way to make it appear? You say I cannot get this dialog when you have selected a normal collection in the collections panel, well this isn't true because as I have stated numerous times this dialog was appearing for me whilst I was in the collection.

First, make sure you are in the Library module, not the Develop module. Second, you keep talking about 'the collection' but you don't mention which one. As said, if that is a collection you made yourself, then you can't get that dialog while you have that selected. You can repeat over and over again that you did get that dialog in the past, but that was because you must have had a folder selected, or perhaps 'Previous Import'.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have switched to Library and the dialog now appears so thanks, that'll do. But FYI you are incorrect. When you first create a new collection the dialog also comes up in the Develop module for this collection, up until you then select the option to make a new collection. No need to be so rude to people who're seeking support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And having selected the folder when in Library, I can now go back to Develop and the dialog comes up when deleting. So yes you can delete photos when within the Develop module.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gregorydewode  wrote

And having selected the folder when in Library, I can now go back to Develop and the dialog comes up when deleting. So yes you can delete photos when within the Develop module.

Yes, but not from your own collections. That was what I meant, but I realised it was confusing so I changed that message and removed that sentence. Apparently you had already seen it however.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, appreciate the help and sorry I couldn't be more clear. Yes I was confused by the statement that you couldn't delete from disk when within Develop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

gregorydewode  wrote

Could you please elaborate? I have imported my photos into a new collection & this dialogue was previously appearing when deleting a photo. It is no longer appearing, could you please explain how I can get this dialogue to reappear?

First lets get some terminology correct. There are Collections which are just Lists of images that you create from images that you have imported into the LR Catalog.

Then there are Folders which are actual folder on you drive where LR has imported image to or imported images from. Those are shown in the Folders section of the left hand panel

When you import images the Default option is to show you the images you just imported in the "Previous Import" collection shown in the Catalog section of the left hand panel in the Library module. But that really isn't a collection like the ones in the Collections section of that same panel. That "Previous Import" entry will show you all the images you did from your last import whether they are all in one folder or in multiple folders.

If you are selecting the option to "Add to Collection" in the import dialg and then selecting the collection to add it to or clicking the Plus Sign ( + ) to type in a new collection name and then once the import is finished and you go to that collection the only option you have is to Remove From Collection.

When that "Previous Import" option is selected and you select Remove Photo (or Photos in the case you have more than one image selected) LR treats it like a Folder and you do get that dialog that has those 3 options, Delete from Disk, Remove and Cancel.

But if you are in an actual collection, in the Collections section of the left hand panel, then the only option is to "Remove From Collection". It does not give you the option to delete from disk or just remove from the catalog.

This is normal behavior as otherwise there wouldn't be a way to remove a photo from a collection that you mistakenly place in that collection.

To get that popup dialog with those 3 options you must be displaying the images in a folder, or in the "Previous Import" option in the Catalog section.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines