• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Convert to smart object causes image to disappear...

Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Never seen this in all my years using PS. With the new update (one version back and the latest) when I select a layer and "convert to smart object", the image disappears. Specifically I am pasting images into a predefined shape. I convert them to smart objects when I want to move them around easier or rasterize into a final composition. Not sure what is happening. I researched looking for answers and it doesn't seem anyone else is having this issue?

Thanks for any help!

Chris

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post your Photoshop system info so we know what software and hardware you are using. Post some screen captures showing your problem Photoshop displayed UI Pallets and image. And the describe the sequence of steps to produce your problem.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks JJ. It's PS version 19.1.0 on Mac OS 10.13.2. Attached are some screenshots showing what's happening...the last screenshot is when I double click on the smart object. You can see the image in the thumbnail on the right, but not on the main screen...Photoshop CCScreenSnapz001.jpgPhotoshop CCScreenSnapz002.jpgPhotoshop CCScreenSnapz003.jpgPhotoshop CCScreenSnapz004.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!, 

Just pulling my hair out to find a fix on this for almost an hour now..

This is what what worked for me: The Timeline Tab.

For some weird reason, the content is there, it just isn't in the part where it's visible in the timeline.

paulog60942688_0-1598017320248.png

I just pulled this layers to the beginning of the timeline and now I can see em! Not sure how it happened but this fixed it for me.

*Maybe it just in my case, but I just want to share this incase it helps someone. Ingat!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes double clicking should open a new temp work document it seems to Open but the image is not displaying in the image window. There seems to be quit a few Mac users having Display issues with the 19.1 update.  Check Apple site to see if there are any updates for your mac.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks JJ, will do - appreciate your help!

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just did the Mac OS update to 10.13.3 and the issue is still there. Bummer as I use this all the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Have tried to turn Off the mask on the temp work document, and save ?

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Pierre. Not sure I follow, but turning off or releasing the mask defeats the purpose and shows the whole image again instead of the cropped, properly positioned version I created. Clipping masks didn't help either.

I'm thinking maybe I'll take the saved file and see if I can convert these objects on my laptop; can't recall if I updated PS on that yet.

Best,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2018 Feb 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having the same thing but if I relink all masks before I convert to smart it seems fine!

Not Ideal but works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2018 Feb 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Gareth! How do you do this? I tried figuring it out and looking it up, but came up empty...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot that works!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing happening. Draw a rectangle, right click, convert to smart object, then the layer disappears. All my years in photoshop, i've never seen this one before. I can't even complete the project I"m working on....

before.jpg

after.jpg

I've been making smart objects like this for years now and never had this happen. What is going on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not ideal, but the fix for me was to download the previous version of Photoshop and use both versions to finish designs. Also can't believe Adobe dropped the Device Preview that was so immensely helpful to designers - what are they thinking?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes device Preview has been removed.  If you search this forum someone recently posted they found l a good replacement application to use instead of  Device Preview .

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks JJ, I did and am using Skala. Just agree with the others it's odd Adoble would drop something so vital and again push us to outside solutions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To you Device Preview vital for most Photoshop users it would be just an other unused Photoshop feature.

Adobe is not equipped to handle the mobile device market where developers like Apple divide their customers old devices can not use the newer IOS versions and newer IOS versions can not use older applications.  Adobe does not support old versions of their product and has problem keeping Photoshop working on OSX and Windows. Adobe would need Device preview app for Android versions  IOS prior to IOS 11 and versions for IOS11 + devices.   Adobe would need better management to be able do deal with something like this. So Adobe management did the right thing and dropped Device Preview.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you resizing you screen captures so small we can not make out the details in them?   Your before  has three layers with a gray layer perhaps a smart object layer or shape layer I believe being transformed.   The second capture shows two layers remain none targeted the top layer seems the be as taster layer with a line layer mask that select the hand holding the apple device.  I have no idea where the gray rectangle in the capture is its layer seems to have been deleted.  What exact steps did you do? What was the deleted layer type and how was it created and deleted? Please do not resize screen captures post the full size capture.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Draw a rectangle, right click, convert to smart object, then the layer disappears.

From my post above ..  ^

JJMACK..... It doesn't need a detailed road map. I explained exactly what I did. The layer disappears after right clicking and clicking convert to smart object. And it's extremely intermittent. It looks like an update issue. I've had more issues with 19.1.1 than any other update in 8 years. More crashes, more hung apps.

Also I downsized my screenshot because I'm on a 4k monitor. Us web designers try to keep the old KBs down by habit. I didn't even really need them, but it's obvious a layer is missing... especially if you click the image and open it up in the lightbox modal. I apologize for being so terrible at this complaining thing. I don't do it very often.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this same issue, it's happening more frequently and it's frustrating as hell. Would love it if there was a fix for this.

Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 9.01.36 AM.png

the smart object will disappear, i noticed if it move it to the top of all the other layers it will appear for a bit. As soon as i go to edit it though it pulls a Houdini on me.

I updated to  PS CC 19.1.2 about a month ago and this happen on almost every other doc i work on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once the newest Adobe CC updated I quite having the problem. Sorry. I hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when you convert a layer with an image in a shape the result is different according what is selected (image or shape). when converting shape to a smart object you lose the shape

Capture d’écran 2020-08-21 à 16.15.00.png

Capture d’écran 2020-08-21 à 16.15.09.png

Capture d’écran 2020-08-21 à 16.16.14.png

maybe this can help   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2020 Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right-click the smart object layer which has disappeared the image and chooses 'Edit Contents', the image will appear in a new window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was a timeline issue for me too.  I'm up against a deadline so I can't read through the thread – but that quickly fixed the issue...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2022 Sep 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was happening to me and I realised I was turning them into a smart object while the visibility turned off which seems to delete the content. Once I turned on visibility again and turned them into smart objects everything worked fine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines