• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Video Encoder Hangs in PPro & Media Encoder 12.0.1 (Windows 7)

Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2018 Mar 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The hang is variable and random upon each encode operation; Sometimes 0%, sometimes 42%, sometimes 92%. Often hangs at 0% prior to utilizing any CPU forcing me to forcefully close and restart the program. The program often hangs while moving around the timeline as well (says program is not responsive).

Exporting often works when lowering export resolution down from 1920 to 1280; disabling maximum render quality & maximum depth.

I have deleted cache files. I have disabled all overclocking on my system. I have updated all adobe products and addons to the latest.

Video Card: Nvidia 660 GTX.

Project includes the following plugins: The latest Boris FX Sapphire & Continuum;

Any suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Mar 24, 2018 Mar 24, 2018

The only work around I found was the following: pre-compose, create copy of the original sequence or just drag and drop the sequence onto an empty timeline; this results in a nested sequence of the original; chop it up into manageable sizes (may not be absolutely necessary); encode using cineform: yuv 10-bpc, at a quality of 3. This is what used but rgba 12-bcp + alpha may work also at a higher quality setting. This resulted in a professional quality precomp with zero errors, which I successfull

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Ppro, If I cancel the hung encode and start it again without closing / rebooting premiere entirely; it hangs at 0%. Apparently at a similar state as it was during the initial encode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw an error on the bottom right, exception occurred with plugin: S_glow; the closing Premiere doesn't close premiere entirely; I must force close it and its associated programs via task manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many users were having issues with Sapphire and GPU encode enabled; So I tested to see if disabling sapphires GPU utilization would result in a successful encode.

Mac

/usr/discreet/sparks/sapphire_*, you have a file called s_config.text.

Windows
C:\Program Files\GenArts\SapphireAE\s_config.text

Start+R %ProgramFiles%\GenArts\SapphireAE

Just edit the line that says use_gpu=yes to use_gpu=no.

gpu=no Test result was:  Much slower encode, STILL hangs.

Optional for those this helps: Can enable GPU for faster albeit somewhat buggy timeline editing & previews, and disable for final encode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2018 Mar 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Primary machine is a custom desktop PC Windows 7 64 SP1; Using a different computer (dell laptop) with Windows 10 with the same project imported results in the same activity; using sapphire 11.0.1, Ppro 12.0.1; opened a thread on BorisFX on this very issue: https://forum.borisfx.com/t/sapphire-low-level-exception-hanging-on-encode/3623

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The encode began resuming on the laptop after pausing the encode; unplugging the HDD the project was located; plugging it back in and resuming the encode; I had also forced closed “Adobe After Effects” in the task manager soon after plugging the hard drive back in, and prior to its resumption.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It originally hung at 42% on s_glow sequence (with warp stabilizer). Now it has hung again at 74% on the Windows 10 laptop in the midst of BBC rays dissolve transition on top of two nested sequences which include S_Glow and adobe warp stabilizer. In the first half of the transition, the nested sequence on the surface of the main timeline has bcc color correction enabled; inside that nested sequence is warp stabilizer and S_Glow. The nested sequence (on the surface of the main timeline) in the second half of the transition, has no effects; and it includes another nested sequence, ON this second nest, speed has been set to 50% with optical flow enabled, and S_Glow enabled. INSIDE the second nested sequence adobe Warp stabilizer is enabled at 50 percent smoothness with Subspace warp and detailed analysis.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After 30 minutes the video resumed on the aforementioned transition for 3-4 frames then hung again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correction, Mac config file located here:

/Applications/GenArtsSapphireAE/config/s_config.text

Often restarting the encoding of a project it hangs randomly on variable points, its not always the same, therefore if possible (in adobe and other apps), a very simple work around for BorisFX would be an option to restart the encoding of a particular transition or clip segment if it hangs or encounters an error; This may eliminate a massive segment of these errors; or at least time wasted due to hangs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ad71f81873f374e7ce419644392e479c19b0f87c_1_666x500.JPG

Output preview on the Laptop how shows one large red background; only a tiny segment of the video footage is visible on the right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confirmed, the Laptop video completed after 25 hours with many bugs and corruptions. Red frames, blurry transitions, flickery blurry segments, and audio timing issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I gave a copy of my project to BorisFX for them to debug, and the result was the following, quote:

"Hi canyoncomputers,

I was able to render out the clip fine using my computer. I had to install AE_ADBE FC Pro 2.1 plugins. I also had to remove the Final.mp4 clip at the beginning of the project since I was missing that media.

What I did notice during the render was that my memory usage was pretty high. My system memory was going up to 14GB out of 16 GB and GPU usage was 2.5 GPU out of 8GB.

What Sapphire does is that it uses the GPU to speed up render while it still have enough GPU memory and if it runs out then it will switches over to CPU. This memory is shared between Sapphire, Premiere, your PC, and any other filters you’re using. In your case I believe that all your GPU memory is used up which is indicated by your logs. This causes Sapphire to switch over to CPU memory. However if you’re running out of your system memory as well then you’ll experience slowdown.

A few things you can do is upgrade your GPU. I know that graphics card can be costly so another route you can also try is by upgrading your system memory. As I recalled you’re running with 8GB. If you upgrade it to 16GB then it might help with the rendering. Another option would be to just pre-comp or render out the various sections of your project so it would speed up with the whole rendering process in your final project.

Thanks,

Linh"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So when sapphire runs low on GPU memory it results in  "S_Glow" low level exception errors.  So I guess BorisFX requirements for sapphire have risen to 16 GB ram, and, 4GB video memory. I don't mind having slow downs, but my issue is I am running into errors that cause corruption and a failing project; Rather than the end user being forced to pay thousands of dollars for a buggy application, then upgrades, it would be much better Boris tweaked Sapphire to work properly, and fix these bugs. Disabling GPU use in sapphire resulted in the same bugs. 

Sun Dec 24 17:39:32 2017: SBuild/sapphire-ae/final-em64t/core/execute-kernels.cu:34: launching kernel: out of memory

Sun Dec 24 17:39:32 2017: SBuild\sapphire-ae\final-em64t\primitives\mem-manager.cxx:924: CUDA error: out of memory

Sun Dec 24 17:39:32 2017: SBuild\sapphire-ae\final-em64t\primitives\mem-manager.cxx:924: CUDA error: out of memory

Sun Dec 24 17:39:32 2017: S_Glow failed execution plan on 1920 x 1080 clip with 8 bit depth (temps 1920x1080)

That's a lot of money they are expecting their users to spend on a simple bug.

Gee Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2018 Mar 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only work around I found was the following: pre-compose, create copy of the original sequence or just drag and drop the sequence onto an empty timeline; this results in a nested sequence of the original; chop it up into manageable sizes (may not be absolutely necessary); encode using cineform: yuv 10-bpc, at a quality of 3. This is what used but rgba 12-bcp + alpha may work also at a higher quality setting. This resulted in a professional quality precomp with zero errors, which I successfully re-encoded later as h265 and h264

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2018 Mar 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not a bug fix but at least this works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines