Exit

AE and Ryzen 1700 are not playing well together

New Here ,
Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just recently finished building my new desktop with the following specs:

Ryzen 1700 - Air cooled with stock cooler

16GB G. Skill FlareX (running at 2400MHz because for some reason I can't edit the frequency on BIOS but it's advertised to run at 3200MHz)

2x EVGA 1070s

EVGA 850w PSU

500GB WD Blue SSD + 1TB WD Blue HDD

I've been noticing some weird performance issues. I am a seasoned Motion Artist so I use After Effects a LOT. Thing is that I've noticed that after a while of normal usage AE becomes laggy, specially while rendering with Adobe Media Encoder. This wasn't happening with my previous Intel PC or my Intel PC at work. I am able to render in the background using Adobe Media Encoder or Background Render for After Effects and continue working without problems on AE. Even rendering in Cinema 4D and continue working in AE plus doing the normal everyday browsing and having a bunch of apps open. Usually after Media Encoder finishes rendering I have to actually quit it so that After effects goes back to normal.

I've kept an eye on my processor to try and figure out the problem, but while rendering from Media Encoder it caps at around 30% usage, so what's going on? Granted I am working off the HDD but I don't suspect this is the issue since AE works fine when Media Encoder is not open.

I can only suspect the bottleneck is the memory then? I know I still have to figure out overclocking the memory and processor but still, this is an 8 core 16 thread processor running at 3.00GHz (stock) but still should be able to handle this.

I would appreciate any suggestions or ideas as I really need this computer to perform like I was expecting.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's probably not at all using any of the extra cores and locking everything to the primary two cores - which is how it always has worked. You probably just didn't notice it because those Ryzen's have gianormous caches and only tend to offload stuff very late or never. One might say the processors own optimizations for efficient code execution get in teh way of software code. Short of manually controlling affinity via task manager or other tools I see no immediate fix, since even current compilers don't have any of that and clearly Adobe would have to issue a specific patch that makes provision for those new processors to begin with.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2017 Jun 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply Millenium.

So you are saying there's nothing else I can do on my end?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 24, 2017 Jul 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi j.suarez,

Are you still facing trouble with our system? If not, let us know how you improved the situation. If so, please let us know so we can assist you further.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Kevin,

I know it's been a while and I apologize, I did not see your reply. But to answer your question, Yes, I am still having the same problem.

I didn't have to use my computer to work until now and I am having the same issues. After rendering with Media Encoder, After Effects becomes VERY unresponsive. I keep trying to RAM preview and I get the "Need 2 or more frames to playback" error.

Re-starting AE doesn't help. Rendering from AE or ME is VERY slow (CPU never goes over 30% and tends to stay on the low end). Even encoding an already encoded file to a smaller size from ME takes an unnecessary amount of time.

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines