Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clone stamp issue

New Here ,
Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,

I have read a lot of article regarding the clone stamp issue in PS but nothing fixed my problem yet. Here is the scenario:

I have opened my file out of LR (not as smart object). I would like to add my watermark to a new layer by using the stamp tool. Once I created a new layer and I selected it and then use the stamp tool I get this message

"Could not use the clone stamp because the area to clone has not been defined (option-click to define a source point)."

I am getting more and more frustrated because nothing seems to help. I have since restarted PS as well as my laptop twice.

I am using PS CC 2018 on a Mac.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the wrong tool for that.

See this thread for some ideas:

I have never used photo shop before, and I want to learn how to make a water mark for my photos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you check the options bar? you should check Current layer and below aor all layers. You are probably trying to clone an empty layer...

Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 14.16.57.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you can use another tool but if you use the stamp tool make sure if it is on an empty layer....check the current layer and the all layers...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You indicated that you selected the watermark. It is not actually Selected and that may be the problem.

I assume the watermark is a separate file. Let's call the watermark the Source file and the file to which you want to apply it is the Target file. With the Source chosen, Alt-click on any point within the watermark. Then release the mouse and move to the Target file. Now click and drag the cursor to clone the Source image.

(One more thing: since you want the watermark to be an integral part of the image, it should be on the same layer as the image itself.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Is it possible you are confusing the name of the clone stamp tool with a stamp-like action like that of a rubber stamp on paper.?

You could easily create a custom brush or a custom shape which would act as your "stamp" whenever you wanted to add a watermark.

Example of a brush:

Screenshot 2018-03-13 01.32.11.png

Example of a custom shape:

Screenshot 2018-03-13 01.33.35.png

To create a custom brush - Draw your watermark (or type) as you wish it to appear on a blank layer. Make it fairly large so as to accommodate various size images. Be sure to hide all other layers.

Then from the Edit menu choose Define Brush Preset. Give it a name.

Now the brush is available to you whenever you want.

To create a custom shape - Draw your watermark (or type) as you wish it to appear on a blank layer. Make it fairly large so as to accommodate various size images. Be sure to hide all other layers.

Command / Control click on the layer thumbnail. This will make a selection. In the Paths panel, click the icon in the middle of the icons at the bottom of the panel (Make path from selection)

Then from the Edit menu choose Define Custom Shape. Give it a name.

Now the shape is available to you whenever you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines