• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop prompts for Save As instead of saving the file as it is.

New Here ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there

I am using 19.1.2 release Adobe Photoshop on Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.3 (17D102).

From last 3 updates, Photoshop has been constantly playing up with saving files. Sometimes, it saves no information and all of a sudden the file becomes zero bytes.

My main issue now is, every time I hit CMD + S for the already saved file, it brings up a dialog box prompting to File save as... It is pretty annoying since I am used to saving files every minute or so.

Is there anything I need to do manually to fix this issue? Please help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User

Try saving the PSD to the local hard drive and make some changes and hit CMD + S

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not seeing this issue on Windows, have you tried resetting Photoshop preferences

Untitled.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried this option and reinstall everything fresh including the OS. Still facing the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you working locally or across network?

Which file formats are affected?

Could you have introduced features (Layers for example) that the format (jpg for example) does not support?

Please post meaningful screenshots including all pertinent UI elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file format is PSD only. Since it has a few layers.    

Btw - I am using OneDrive to save everything which syncs automatically with the cloud. Could that be an issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try saving the PSD to the local hard drive and make some changes and hit CMD + S

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me. Thanks Ged 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 09, 2019 May 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solution does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this problem. I've tried resetting preferences on quit and saving it to the local hard drive. I'm still having the same problem—EVERY time I hit CMD+S. So frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pleas post meaningful screenshots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this problem too. It always wants to "Save As" instead of doing a standard save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read this (in particular the section titled "Supply pertinent information for quicker answers"):

https://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-7044

What have you done for trouble-shooting so far?

Restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 02, 2018 Aug 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this issue, too. I only save locally to my MacBook Pro's hard drive. Let's say I start with a JPG, then I add a layer and make some edits. I do a "Save As" to save the file as a new .psd file. Then I make some other revisions and hit Cmd-S to do a regular save over the current .psd file. It brings up the "Save As" dialog again... The *next* time I do a regular save, however, it tends to work. I don't know why it takes an extra step, though...

Been happening for quite some time now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2018 Aug 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing the same issue but only seems quite recent. Saving to internal drive. I saved same file to external and it worked as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2018 Nov 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am having this problem, as well. I just spoke to Adobe customer service, who said that clicking on "Edit Original" in Lightroom dialogue box tells Photoshop to find the original wherever it is on the computer. Thus, when you save it in Photoshop, the image isn't saved in Lightroom. Hence, the "save as" prompt. He demonstrated that if you select "Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments," the image will be saved to Lightroom. Indeed, he is correct. He further  assured me that this has been the procedure going back at least two years. This is not my experience, however. All my teachers and online tutors use "Edit Original," which were then saved in Photoshop and Lightroom. At least now I can do my work by selecting first option, "Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments," but will explore this further. Here in the forum, I have not seen anyone solve the issue in this manner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Apr 19, 2019 Apr 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this problem off and on as well, since installing Mojave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2019 Apr 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same issue but not using Lightroom so that is not the problem.

I cleared preferences, but it did not resolve it. As with many here I am used to regularly pressing CMD save. It always pops up as "Save As". Frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 05, 2019 Aug 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What [cursing removed] ADOBE??????  I'm having this problem, too. 
Every time I click SAVE, it brings up the dialogue box for "SAVE AS". 
I'm working on a flat JPG...and the file is on my local hdd...but when I click save, it brings up the "Save As" box, and it's default is a .PSD....so I have to manually change it back to JPG. [ removed]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2019 Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy OShea, your post seems to be empty – was that symbolic or the result of a mis-click?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still waiting for the day when I can reply with just a single exclamation mark or ellipsis. But this is even cooler

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post a screenshot with the pertinent Panels (Layers, Channels, Options Bar, …) visible?

Your file appears to violate the jpg-standard but why would you even edit and then save a jpg, thus aggravating the compression-damage?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you open a JPEG, I'd EXPECT a Save to produce a Save as box if you do anything except the simplest of edits, because JPEG cannot hold all the Photoshop editability. The choice of Save as forces you (hopefully) to save a PSD copy for your work before making a final JPEG. Photoshop isn't a JPEG editor, exactly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, this was happening when saving photoshop files.

Best,

Jim

On Tue, Aug 6, 2019 at 6:23 AM Test Screen Name <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, multiple people with entirely different problems have now joined this thread. Mr. Rubber is opening JPEGs, in which case this is normal, expected and desirable. Others are opening PSD files, for which this isn't normal, and still others aren't clear which...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines