Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop auto layer arrange based on colour

Explorer ,
Feb 22, 2018 Feb 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm looking for help trying to achieve a workflow where each color sample I paint into a new layer can be automatically re-arranged so photoshop displays them by their color hue value. Is this possible and if so, how?

J

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please explain the issue and the purpose in more detail.

Very likely what you want to achieve would need Scripting in Photoshop, so you may want to ask over at

Photoshop Scripting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Example;

Paint 10 different colors onto 10 separate layers and have photoshop generate them into order of their color value how they'd stack on an adobe color chart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

into order of their color value

Do you know what you mean by that? Because the term »color« carries some ambiguities.

Do you want them arranged by Hue or Saturation or Brightness?

Paint 10 different colors onto 10 separate layers

Do the Layers flat color regions or do they need to be averaged?

And what do you mean by »adobe color chart« exactly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1, Hue

2, ?

3, Not really relevent. Just have colors stack as they would in any color chart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2, ?

You mentioned »Paint 10 different colors« – painting might include some mixing or variance in the application due to Blend Modes for example, so I wonder if all the non-transparent pixels in the Layer definitely have the same RGB-values or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just 10 different colors. They would be flat I guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As mentioned above you should post on the Scripting Forum.

But your intended process seems strange to me – why paint the samples at all and not simply create Solid Color Shape Layers right away?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Sorry for delay in contiuning this.

I'm using this as my workflow;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UAYhFaPTAA

Now what I need to do is know if its possible to just move the reference in color sample 2 to another place on the page and the curves values auto populate from the info pane.

Thereby if I had a row of different colors all lined up I could easily quickly change the product (Sofa in this example) just by dragging the reference point. Thats what I am trying to automate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First a comment on that video:

Not a bad tutorial but when somebody describes converting RGB to Lab as »non-destructive« they are over-simplifying the matter in my opinion as far as 8bit images are concerned.

As Lab is by necessity »huge« converting an 8bit RGB image (at least for the commercially relevant RGB spaces) to 8bit Lab would of necessity affect the image as a part of the Color Space will go unused originally and the used part has to be »bunched up«.

Apparently you expect people to first view the video to be able to understand what you mean by »color sample 2« instead of providing a proper explanation.

You do not seem to have posted on the Scripting Forum as I had recommended.

https://forums.adobe.com/message/4809856#4809856?sr=search&searchId=6386815a-d79a-46ee-b158-99e08039...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm not trying to expect people to do anything. I'm obviously not doiing a very good example of asking for a solution to my needs. What I am asking for I am struggling to explain in this thread. I haven't posted in the scripting forum yet because I wanted to show you what I was failing to explain.

I will try the scripting forum.

Appolgies for the offense I seem to giving out. I do appreciate your input so far, you're just way more advanced that I currently am so I think a little patience is just overlooked here.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I can’t deny that patience and consideration are not my strong points.

But you really should try to give a more complete description (preferably with screenshots to illustrate your set-up and intentions) and post on the Scripting Forum – changing a Curves Layer based on a Colour Sampler is a task of fairly advanced automation and is beyond simple Photoshop Actions (so far at least).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks C.pfaffenbichler. I'll take your advice onboard before posting in the scripting thread. Appriciate your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines