Exit

How to link a heading in one column with body text in another

Enthusiast ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have some headings and paragraphs that I'd like to keep together, like this:

I've tried using drop caps, indenting the text and "unindenting" the first line with the header on it, plus a few other unsuccessful workarounds. So I'm hoping someone might have the answer - as you can hopefully guess from the screengrab above, I'd like to have the headers right-aligned, to the left of each paragraph, but lined up properly with the first line. I know I could fudge it manually with a lot of leading/space before/after adjustments, but obviously that would all be useless if the body text was then edited. Is there a simpler way?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

~ Paul

UPDATE: I might have found a solution, here: Split Text frame in 2. Header on the Left, Paragraph on Right. (image inc)

...unless InDesign has introduced a better way to do it since last year?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paul,

did you try anchored text frames for the headings?
Anchored to the first insertion point of the paragraph.

The header's background could be a paragraph shading of the paragraphs in the main text.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Laubender​. I'd just found that method too; I tried to update my original question with the anchor explanation, but the forum won't let me. So here's what I did:

That video was fairly useless, just showing someone applying a style and a load of magic happening, with no guidance on how to do the magic. So instead I discovered anchored objects: Cut the text box containing the header, paste it at the start of the paragraph, right-click this newly-pasted text box, choose Anchored Object > Options... and play around with those lovely settings. Job done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah! You found Obi Wan's workaround using Line Styles perhaps:

Column for heading, column for body text?

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but I think the anchored text boxes option looked more straightforward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming your body text is Left aligned, Myriad 10/12.

For body text: assign big enough Left Indent (let’s start with 30 mm).

For heading: assign Baseline Shift -12 mm.

Space between chapters can be adjusted by making Heading leading bigger / smaller. Say, setting it to 0 effectively eliminates any additional space.

heading.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I played with indenting the body text, un-indenting the header and moving it down with a baseline shift, but it would all go a bit wrong if the header went to two lines, so I'm sticking with the pasted/anchor method for now.

But thanks, everyone, for your quick and detailed replies!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in Laubender's link, you can see the solution to that in one of Obi-Wan's later posts: create several character styles, each with an increasing baseline shift (i.e. style 1 has a shift of -18, style 2 -36, style 3 -54, depending on the leading you want to use). then use them sequentially as nested line styles in the heading para style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I noticed that (various character styles for different numbers of lines).

It's odd that InDesign can't do this automatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

it is kind of awkward initially, but once it's set up it's as good as automatic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines