• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a limit in InDesign for exporting spot colors as PDF?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to export a PDF file from InDesign. It has about 40 Spot colors because it is a guideline.

While exporting the PDF in InDesign of the whole document I get no problem report, but when I open the exported PDF file in Acrobat some of the spot colors are converted in CMYK. Is there any way to export the PDF with all the spot colors or do I have to export it page by page?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Output section of the Export Adobe PDF dialog window did you have "No Color Conversion" chosen?

Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 10.25.09 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes sure. No color conversion and no conversion in the ink manager. The colors are all the original from the Pantone color palette in LAB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The max number of spot plate separations for printing and exporting is 27:

Screen Shot 4.png

But it doesn't sound like you are actually trying to output 40 separate plates and are printing your guide to a composite printer? If that's the case you can select all 40 swatches in the Swatches panel, double-click and set the Color Type to Process. The document exported to PDF/X-4 default (No Convesion) will export the guide‘s colors as the original Pantone Lab values and the conversion to the printer's destination space can happen when the PDF is printed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the problem, that the guideline has to be checked be delivering parties and they want to check the colors used in the guideline via acrobat so I think I have to split the guideline for "checking" and limit every export to max 27 spot colors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

christophj79940440  wrote

… I have to split the guideline for "checking" and limit every export to max 27 spot colors.

Hi Christoph,

so you are lucky and not more than 27 spot colors are presented on one page.

On the other hand it should be possible to convert RGB or CMYK filled shapes to spot in Acrobat Pro DC using Illustrator for editing.
Or perhaps using Acrobat preflight rules.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

they want to check the colors used in the guideline via acrobat

They can still use Acrobat's Object Inspector to get the names of all of the spot colors. The limit is actually the number of separation plates that can be output—I doubt anyone needs to output 40 plates.

So here's the entire Pantone Coated library as a grid of fills and exported as spot colors, but rather than checking the swatches output values, which are subject to the separation limit I can use Object Inspector, which gives me the fill as Separation along with the spot color name:

snap3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much. That is helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines