Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Content Collector Retain Edits on Child File

Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys,

So my question is this. I am creating a document which contains a bunch of the same assets from another file so I'll be using the content collector heavily from the files to link each element so if I make any changes it just updates the new files. My question here is that I am using tables with 12 rows in the original file but in the child file I only need 8 of the rows. When I update the mother link for the table; the table in the child link gains back the 4 rows I deleted and I was wondering if there is any possible way to have the child link retain the edit changes I made but update the content which is still visible that I want on there.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid InDesign's Paste & Link features (Content Collector) aren't quite that "smart," and the nature of InDesign tables doesn't help. In terms of content, at any level above individual cell, InDesign tables are essentially treated like single-character paragraphs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I doubt there is any way to link portion of table.. place and link, works good when linking stories across documents or within same document. Since a table is essentially a same story, it cannot be placed and linked in fragments

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the help guys, the only thing that I came across in the document that comes close to what might be possible is when I right click on the option to the links and there is a "Link Options" section there is a section in the middle of the window that says "Preserve Local Edits while Updating Object Links" right now the problem is that those options are grayed out for me and I have no idea how to get them highlighted to see if those might solve my problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines