Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Most EmojiOne font glyphs showing up as 2 black x-ed boxes

New Here ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm trying to use the EmojiOne Font in Illustrator but, (although they appear fully in the glyphs panel) when used, most of them show up as two black x-ed boxes rather than the emoji. Can anyone help? Am I doing something silly? It does the same thing using the Apple Color Emoji font. I'm using a new, up-to-date iMac with the latest Illustrator version.

Here's an illustration using 5 different glyphs, only one of which works.

Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 9.09.50 AM.png

Thank you,

Petra

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Next thing you could try would be resetting preferences.

How to set preferences in Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not able to reproduce this issue. Which characters are you typing that result in "X"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply Barbara.

In the following example I used the emojis on the left that are in the red box to produce the result on the right.

Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 11.27.36 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I discovered that if I specify the Emoji font before typing it works. If I specify a different font and try to change it to Emoji, I get X.

Try this and let me know if the problem persists:

• Select the Type tool but don't click on the artboard yet.
  • Select the Emoji font, from any of the usual ways: the Type menu, from the Character panel, or from the Glyphs panel.
  • With the Type tool, click or drag on the artboard, and then add the Emoji characters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did specifically as you said but the problem still persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was a recent update to Illustrator. If you haven't already done so, you could try installing that.

The version is 22.1

To see the version number you're running, in Illustrator you can choose Help menu, and select About Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Version is Adobe Illustrator CC 22.0.1 but it show's no updates available. Are you sure there's an update 22.1?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. This is what my screen looks like:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reloaded CC and there was the update so installed it and tried again, but still no luck. Thanks for showing me the update though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Next thing you could try would be resetting preferences.

How to set preferences in Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did it! Thank you! Any idea what preference it could have been? Love to bring back the rest of my old preferences if possible but if not I'll make due.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So glad that worked for you!

Not possible to know which preference it was. It's rare, but sometimes the preferences file gets corrupt.

A good thing to do once you've re-established the preferences the way you want them, is to make a copy of the preferences file and put it aside for safe keeping in case you need it in the future. You can change the name of the copy. I usually add a tilde ~ in front of the name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Great help! Cheers!

Petra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

22.0.1 was released on November 2, 2017. I believe that the 22.1 update as released today, maybe yesterday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines