Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tabbing in HTML5 (not flash)

Explorer ,
Sep 28, 2017 Sep 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am using CP9 and am having problems keeping the tabbing function within the CP slide.  It wants to jump to the URL Address box, PlayBar, etc.

I have a Text Entry field where the learner enters text and then needs to tab to the next field.  This is how the real system works.  The tabbing does everything but what I want it to do.

I've checked, "Restrict keyboard tabbing to slide items only"

I've checked and unchecked (tried both) Seamless tabbing during publishing

Nothing works.  I am publishing HTML5.  I do not want to publish my demo SWF.

I've researched all the previous posts and it seems like there is no solution for HTML5 published demos.   Is this a CP9 limitation that has no solution?  Is CP17 better?

Any assistance you could offer would be absolutely wonderful!

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 28, 2017 Dec 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has not been fixed with Captivate 2017. I'm having the same issue, and the only solution I've found is to publish as SWF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 28, 2017 Dec 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please log a bug report.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2018 Feb 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am convinced that this issue is related to the On Focus Lost (OFL) option. From what I understand OFL is not related to tabbing but requiring the user to enter something in the TEB. I have a  workaround, that I am pretty confident works. 

1. Set the TEB to validate input.
2. Set a <Tab> On success Shortcut in the TEB Actions menu and  set "Go to Next Slide"
3. Set a failure caption
4. Pause for failure caption
5. Show a transparent button with  a <Tab> shortcut

The above is standard.  Below is what makes tabbing work for me.

6. Create an Advanced action where a condition is always true (like 1 is equal to 1).  Assign a jump to slide action where the slide is current slide.  Put that in the OFL Script on the TEB.

So basically when they are correct it will go to the next slide.  If they are incorrect, I believe, the OFL kicks in and restarts the slide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version? In CP2017 it is no longr necessary to create a stanfard action with the workaround 'IF 1 is eqaul to 1' at all. Even in previous versions you could simply use a standard instead of a condtional action. Strange work flow, do see it done by many users, no idea why.

Replaying a slide will work in some circumstances with the workflow you describe, but not always.... depends onthe output (HTML5 or SWF) and on the eventual use of an On Enter action for the slide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 8.  I only publish to hmt5 and my On Enter action is No action.

Concerning the conditional, I actually had a more complex conditional advanced action as my workaround, but upon testing I realized it could be done simpler, so I just updated the existing advanced action. I never tried a standard action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why make it simple when it can be done in a complicated way? Sorry for the kidding...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lilybiri.

I know you have been a huge resource in helping out with so many things "Captivate" related.  Do you know if they Adobe fixed the TEB with TAB to take to next slide for HTML5 only in Captivate 10? I've tried it in Captivate 8 and 9 to no avail.  I know they have offered the work around below, but I was hoping to see if Adobe fixed it in a later version.

Thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that it's a lost focus issue. My workaround differs with yours after step 4:

5. Select the Text Entry box itself.

6. In the Properties > Actions tab, click the drop down for On Focus Lost.

7. Here select Execute Advanced Actions. You will make an Advanced action that rewinds the playhead every time the text entry box loses focus when the tab key is entered.

8. In the Advanced Actions pane, click the Variables... button at the bottom.

9. Click Add New and name your variable v_startframe. Save it.

10. Back in the Advanced Actions window, add the following actions from the screen capture below. Name and save your Advanced Action.

Advanced Actions Window.png

11. Last, back in the Text Entry Box properties, select your new script under On Focus Lost, see below.

12. Preview the project with HTML5 in Browser.

I got the rewind idea after MANY failed attempts and then viewing this tutorial: Micro-Navigation in Adobe Captivate - Captivate blog. ​Putting it all together, it works for me. I hope that it helps you.

Text_Entry_Box_Properties.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Question:  I saw you had to use this workaround for Captivate 8.  Do you know if they fixed this "bug" for Captivate 9 or higher?  I need to publish as HTML5 only and our simulations need TEB with validated response, and then the TAB should take them to next slide.  If Captivate 9 or higher fixes this issue, then I'm all for creating a strong reason to upgrade. Otherwise I would have to use the workaround above, and have to use it for over 30 slides.  Our simulations follow our software which "tabs" to move to the next entry field.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2019 Mar 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!! This worked like a charm for me.

Linda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2019 May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The workaround you posted works great in IE but unfortunately is still losing focus when using Google Chrome. Did you get this working in Chrome or is there something i'm missing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Andy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used the instructions that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply, it's strange then why it doesn't work for me just in chrome. I also followed the instructions that @aamon1906 posted. I'm using chrome version 74.0.3729.169.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm so sorry this isn't working for you. Best of luck in finding a solution that works for your situation. I feel your pain.

This has been a challenging time converting Captivate documents to  HTML5. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2019 Jun 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a Lot Worked very well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm using Captivate 2019 with published content viewed in IE 11. I did the first four steps from the previous entry then steps five and on from your post. Unfortunately, it still doesn't work for me. Any ideas on what I might have missed or alternatives?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources