Exit

Trouble with latest version of Lightroom

Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Latest version of Lightroom very buggy!

1.  Can download and process in Develop module OK

2.  Then I visit Map mode to pick up GPS data (Canon 5D4) and then enter image title and location etc.  - very very slow to display GPS data and cannot type in Title and Caption, File name etc not displayed

3.  Move back to Library mode, and very very slow to accept keywords etc

Revert back to previous version, everything perfect except I get keep being asked to update to latest version

All frustrating;  help to resolve much appreciated.

Roger Hollingsworth

Photographer

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

johnrellis  wrote

So it seems that unchecking Use Graphics Processor should be a magic spell sprinkled on any problems with display, in any LR module.

Well, this might be a small point, but shouldn't that say

... unchecking Use Graphics Processor could be ...

Also, I don't see the original problem as being a display problem, it is displaying properly, but extremely slowly.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Roger, what are your system specs?

Windows or Mac and which operating system?

Processor and amount of RAM?

Have you tried disabling GPU acceleration? Let us know if that makes a difference.

Go to:

Edit >> Preferences >> Performance (tab)

Lightroom >> Preferences >> Performance (tab) on Mac OS

Uncheck the box “Use Graphics Processor”

Then click OK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your very quick reply

I have a Windows 10 desktop with 4 hard disks (SSD & Hybrid). The graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950. The system is as per the attached file and the desktop is networked with a file server running Linux

Presently using the previous version of Lightroom without issue. I have been out this morning photographing two classic cars, a RR Phantom II (wow!) and a 1965 RR Silver Shadow III, both having just been restored. When I have finished processing the images and emailed them off, I shall reinstall the latest version and uncheck the GPU processor as you suggest

Thanks

Roger

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In theory, the GPU acceleration would have no effect on Library module tasks.

No files are attached, you can't attach files to forum posts via e-mail, you have to attach files using a web browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dj_paige  wrote

In theory, the GPU acceleration would have no effect on Library module tasks.

That has changed in LR 7.2.  The "Use Graphics Processor" option now also controls the use of other forms of accelerated graphics in Library and perhaps other modules.  See Adobe employee Simon Chen's reply here:

Lightroom: Overlapping display of images in Library | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Prior to 7.2, users could set obscure options in Config.lua for disabling LR's use of the Windows Direct2D interface, which worked around bugs with overlapping display of thumbnails and the filmstrip in Library.  According to Simon, that is now controlled by Use Graphics Processor.  I believe there are other Library problems that are now worked around by unchecking Use Graphics Processor, but I can't find the references right now.

So it seems that unchecking Use Graphics Processor should be a magic spell sprinkled on any problems with display, in any LR module.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

johnrellis  wrote

Well, this might be a small point, but shouldn't that say

... unchecking Use Graphics Processor could be ...

Also, I don't see the original problem as being a display problem, it is displaying properly, but extremely slowly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks everyone,  Unchecking Use Graphics Processor does free up the display in the map page BUT it also disables the HDR and panorama functions.  Of course one can complete these tasks in Photoshop.  The best solution still remains to revert back to the previous version of Lightroom which works perfectly for me

Roger

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

Will do

Roger

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines