Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator - Large Banner and file formats to use

New Here ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I'm creating a large banner in Illustrator - it's 14 ft x 9 ft.  It needs to have logos placed on it - and my question is - does it matter what type of logo format I place on the document?  For clarity and printing purposes?  I have each logo in a pdf, jpeg, ps and eps.  Which one should I use?

Thanks!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the pdf or eps is vector art then use that so that resolution is not an issue. I would suggest resaving them as .ai files though (eps is an outdated format and not recommended). To make sure that the logo is completely vector open it in Illustrator and look at it in the Artwork Mode (Command (Mac)/Control (PC)-Y. If you see the logo (outlined) in this mode then you are dealing with vector art. If you see a blank box then it is raster and will have problems with resolution as you blow it up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly. Not so much a matter of file type as the type of shape you're referring to. It's either raster or vector. Having it in pdf or eps doesn't make it vector art.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill - and thanks for your advice.

I did what you said to do - opened up the pdf in Illustrator - hit Control Y - and ended up with the blank box  😕 

Any suggestions on what I should do next?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So that means that your logos will be dependent on resolution and will most likely appear pixelated when produced in a large format. If it is possible to go back to whatever the source of the logos was and find out if vector versions exist. Also follow Jeff’s advice and contact your printer. Get their input. Show them what you have and let them tell you what kind of results you can expect from what you have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill,

Referring to the last sentence in the first post, it may be convenient to avoid unnecessary attention from the NSA (and the others).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I would suggest resaving them as .ai files though (eps is an outdated format and not recommended)"...

When was EPS outdated exactly?  And, who outdated it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When was EPS outdated exactly?  And, who outdated it?

The fact that it has last been updated in 1997 makes it an outdated file format.

Dov Isaacs talks about it in here:

The case against the EPS file. - PrintPlanet.com

and is cited in here:

The EPS file format | What is an Encapsulated PostScript file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The heyday of EPS was when QuarkXPress was the top page layout program but did not possess the necessary codes to import native Illustrator files but was able to handle an encapsulated postscript (EPS) file. These files placed in Quark were not able to maintain any transparency features which used to lead to any number of workarounds in order to use even drop shadows in a Quark layout. Once InDesign came along and was able to take full advantage of the native (.ai) Illustrator format including all of its native transparency features and even access just certain layers of the .ai files there became less and less need for the use of EPS files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Ernie, I would recommend to open either the eps or pdf file in Illustrator if they're working properly and if they are in vector format, then you should be able to export .SVG  Export high-quality, optimized SVG |  SVG guaratee a stable format and easy to place in Illustrator, hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

andreamaestri  schrieb

SVG guaratee a stable format and easy to place in Illustrator, hope this helps

Why open EPS and/or PDF in Illustrator and then export SVG?

SVG might (with default options) cause huge changes to artwork. Up to the point of being unusable because of a complete lack of precision.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ernie,

I would highly recommend that (if you can) call the company that is actually producing the banner. They would be able to answer, better than anyone, what they need for their workflow. Chances are they will say PDF, AI, or EPS, but why not ask the source?

Best,

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ernie,

Any logo (except for some old hand drawn ones) should (in the sense ought to) be born vector, so I believe it is worth looking for that original version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines