Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

4K input, HD output and a tired laptop - workflow questions

New Here ,
Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I want to get my workflow all set up and working correctly pre-editing, but am having some issues.

I have been supplied 4K footage for an HD project.

My laptop is not happy working with the 4K, and I don't need it either - I have to deliver my project in HD.

Which of these 2 options is the best approach?

1) Create proxies of the 4K footage, relink at the end of the edit and render out from the 4K masters (which is what I've started doing but am prepared to do option 2 if its better in the long run).

2) Use Media Encoder to transcode all of the 4K rushes to HD BEFORE importing anything to Premiere Pro, then create proxies from that, and use the new HD files as my masters and forget all about the 4K rushes.

- If I do this, what output settings should I use?

My biggest concern with either of these options is:

- If I am working with proxies of 4K files and then render out in HD will the clips be full frame or cropped?

- If I transcode all the 4K footage to HD via media encoder will it maintain the right frame size or crop down?

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only way to know is to test. Encode a sample to a 1080 size format of your liking.  You might want to consider MXF or something that fits within the ppros smart render (native format) scheme.  I can edit 2 layers of basic cut 1080p MXF on a lattitude with with shared HD graphics.

Smart rendering in Premiere Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Use Cineform proxies.  Export will automatically use the originals.

Work offline using proxy media |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines