• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I use the camera created JPEG from RAW+JPEG as the Lightroom preview

Participant ,
Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to utilize the JPEG created in-camera when capturing RAW+JPEG as the Lightroom preview?  It seems like this would be faster and more accurate than Lightroom creating a new JPEG preview during import.  I have researched this question and found no answer so I assume the answer is "no".  But I'd like to know why not.  Could this be a new feature?

Please don't reply with "Why are you using RAW+JPEG?"  I have specific reasons for that workflow.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

jbinco  wrote

I was aware of that "Embedded & Sidecar" import option.  What I am still not sure of is if the full resolution JPG recorded by the camera alongside a RAW is being used as the Lightroom preview when that option is selected.  Or is it using the embedded?  Or is it using the embedded if a neighboring "sidecar" JPG is not found?

Canon, Nikon or other cameras with a full-size preview in the raw file LR uses the embedded preview. For cameras with an embedded preview that is less than 50% o

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Lightroom preferences, there is an option to treat JPEG images next to raw images as separate images. If that option is checked then Lightroom will import both the JPEG and the raw image. However, the JPEG will not be used as the preview for the raw image. There is no way to provide that functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jbinco  wrote

Is there a way to utilize the JPEG created in-camera when capturing RAW+JPEG as the Lightroom preview?

This feature was added in LR 7. In the Import module select 'Embedded & Sidecar' under 'File Handling. You'll see a double-arrow icon in the filmstrip indicating it is using the embedded preview. The first time you edit the file in the Develop module a new preview will be created.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep forgetting about that one. Do you still have to have that option checked in the preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a relatively new "feature" that more people should probably start using. You only need to check the option in Preferences to "Treat JPEG images next to raw images as separate images" if you want to import both the raw & camera JPEG files. Fuji, Sony, Olympus, or any other camera don't embed a full-size preview. For those cameras you'll need to select  'raw + JPEG' mode in the camera's settings. LR will then use the imported camera JPEG file as the preview for the raw image file. Once the Import 'Preview Fetching' task has completed you can delete the camera JPEG files.

Embedded Preview workflow in Lightroom Classic CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I'm a slow user or something. I really haven't noticed any kind of lag or delay. I use a Nikon D7100 that takes 24 megapixel raw files. But apparently I'm slow enough at working through them that I haven't seen the need for this feature. I'll have to try it the next time I import some new images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's primarily helpful if you need the ability to "quickly" review images at 1:1 View as part of the initial culling process. The "fetching initial previews" process completes very quickly. This means your system resources are 100% free for image review, tagging, and applying Develop edits. It should make a difference in performance compared to working while "preview building" is running.

If the camera embedded preview looks different than your LR default settings you can change the in-camera picture style and its specific settings to obtain a better match (if that bothers you). This is just the opposite of what most users complain about!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

trshaner  wrote

It's a relatively new "feature" that more people should probably start using. You only need to check the option in Preferences to "Treat JPEG images next to raw images as separate images" if you want to import both the raw & camera JPEG files. Fuji, Sony, Olympus, or any other camera don't embed a full-size preview. For those cameras you'll need to select  'raw + JPEG' mode in the camera's settings. LR will then use the imported camera JPEG file as the preview for the raw image file. Once the Import 'Preview Fetching' task has completed you can delete the camera JPEG files.

Embedded Preview workflow in Lightroom Classic CC

Actually I think you have that a little backwards.

If the option is checked to treat JPGs as separate files then they are treated as completely separate files and not associated with a RAW file of the same name.

If that option is Unchecked LR still import, copy, both files to the selected destination but hides the JPG and uses it as a Sidecar files.

It also displays the RAW File Extension, if you have the File Name being display with the thumbnail View options, with a + sign then JPG.

It is in those cases that the option to use either embedded or Sidecar for a preview that the JPG will be used.

And I think that is for any cameras RAW file. Whether or not the embedded JPG is large enough or not to use as a preview file.

RAW + JPG.PNG

RAW + JPG Copied.PNG

Also deleting the RAW file deletes the associated JPG file.

And trying to import the associated JPG doesn't work because as far as LR is concerned it is already imported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Just+Shoot+Me  wrote

trshaner   wrote

You only need to check the option in Preferences to "Treat JPEG images next to raw images as separate images" if you want to import both the raw & camera JPEG files. Fuji, Sony, Olympus, or any other camera don't embed a full-size preview. For those cameras you'll need to select  'raw + JPEG' mode in the camera's settings. LR will then use the imported camera JPEG file as the preview for the raw image file.

Actually I think you have that a little backwards.

If the option is checked to treat JPGs as separate files then they are treated as completely separate files and not associated with a RAW file of the same name.

It is in those cases that the option to use either embedded or Sidecar for a preview that the JPG will be used.

And I think that is for any cameras RAW file. Whether or not the embedded JPG is large enough or not to use as a preview file.

I'm not sure how you can verify this behavior. My Canon CR2 + JPEG file pairs with

It also displays the RAW File Extension, if you have the File Name being display with the thumbnail View options, with a + sign then JPG.

RAW + JPG.PNG

I'm not seeing the +JPEG extension. Please provide a screenshot of the LR Grid View options you are using that displays it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the View options set to.

View Options Dialog.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I get with that option checked.

Option Checked.PNG

And with it Unchecked and the option to use Embedded and or Sidecar files selected for the previews.

Option Unckecked.PNG

There is an icon on the thumbnails saying it is using an Embedded Preview but when I was importing I did get a status bar at the top that said "Building initial Previews" or something like that.

I always have that option checked to treat the JPGs as a separate file but I rarely import JPG files unless they are from an Export or If my P&S camera is set to only record JPG images. Which I do sometimes.

I was using that Embedded option for a short time but then stopped and went back to Standard preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, with your View Options settings I'm now seeing the +JPEG and Metadata 'Sidecar Files' JPG. It appears you have to use 'Filename.' I was using 'File Name and Copy Name.' One would think it should also show the +JPEG sidecar flag...but it doesn't!

I was using that Embedded option for a short time but then stopped and went back to Standard preview.

Is that because you're using Fuji files that require shooting raw + JPEG to use 'Embedded & Sidecar for previews. I use Canon CR2 files so no need to shoot raw + JPEG and 'Embedded & Sidecar for previews speeds my workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

trshaner  wrote

Is that because you're using Fuji files that require shooting raw + JPEG to use 'Embedded & Sidecar for previews. I use Canon CR2 files so no need to shoot raw + JPEG and 'Embedded & Sidecar for previews speeds my workflow.

No. The files from the X-T2 are big enough so LR can use them. Never checked with my X-E2. I doubt I'll use that option again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was aware of that "Embedded & Sidecar" import option.  What I am still not sure of is if the full resolution JPG recorded by the camera alongside a RAW is being used as the Lightroom preview when that option is selected.  Or is it using the embedded?  Or is it using the embedded if a neighboring "sidecar" JPG is not found?

The JPG embedded inside a RAW file is (in the case of Fuji cameras) not full size.  So is Lightroom now considering a JPG with the same filename as a neighboring RAW image to be a sidecar?  I understood "sidecar" to refer to the externally stored XMP metadata file that may be optionally created by some RAW workflows.  Those XMP sidecars have the same low resolution embedded JPG otherwise found in the RAW.

Everyone's help is very much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The XMP sidecar is not a JPEG and is not related to the JPEG. It is the raw metadata that is related to the raw file. It is created when you press Ctrl+S or have Lightroom configured to automatically write changes to XMP files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jbinco  wrote

Canon, Nikon or other cameras with a full-size preview in the raw file LR uses the embedded preview. For cameras with an embedded preview that is less than 50% of the raw image file's pixel dimensions here's what Adobe says:

Sony, Olympus, and Fuji cameras don’t have full sized embedded previews. In this case, Lightroom checks if the embedded preview size is 50% of that of the raw image. If not, the standard preview is created instead of reading the embedded preview. Create a jpg sidecar image along with the raw. If the image has the sidecar file, it’s being read for creating the preview in the Library module.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

trshaner​ Thank you very much. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Just had a chance to test this with some Sony A7R ARW and JPEG files. You only need to check the option in Preferences to "Treat JPEG images next to raw images as separate images" if you want to import both the raw & camera JPEG files into LR. With it unchecked LR will still see the JPEG file and use it to create the raw file's Library preview. Once the Import 'Preview Fetching' task has completed you can delete the camera JPEG files. I've corrected my reply #4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines