• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic 7.2 Exif Issues

New Here ,
Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have approx 250k of images on several external HD's and on my iMac.

I keyword and caption all my images then eventually move these to external drives normally via finder which I realize is not the best option.

I recently (in finder not LR) moved images to my latest back up HD.

Those I've moved and resynced in LR and some on older drives are showing wrong captions and have extra keywords related to that caption or missing all keywords altogether.

I have tried using an older backup but the problem still exists.

All files types are effected DNG,jpegs,psd,tiff and movies

Auto write XMP to file is ticked.

I wonder when I resync in LR i'm having issue with Metadata preset overwriting exif.

Im out of ideas on how to fix this any ideas whats going on.

Regards Simon

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first thing I think of is that you reconnected the photos improperly, and that's why the captions and keywords aren't correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply yes this is my thought also.

I'm downloading a much earlier backup to see if that might help but I suspect if Ive messed up the resync and overwritten metadata then images will have lost original keywords.

If anyone can offer any advise I'd appreciate it.

Simon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is probably going to sound flippant and insensitive. But why don't you import the images to where you want them in the first place so you don't have to move them later? Lightroom doesn't do anything to the image files anyway. Seems to me it would be easier to just place them on the external hard drives in the first place and then add the keywords. All the information is just going to be in the catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim

no you have a valid point it’s mainly because it’s how I always worked.I have several backups running like crashplan super duper and time machine ( not that this matters) and felt happier working on OS drive than external one for the speed.

Simon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's up to you. But I suspect you won't see any difference in performance because the catalog (which is probably on your internal hard drive) is where all the action is. Once the image has been added to the catalog and the preview has been created, there is no activity between the catalog and the master image. The catalog just needs to "know" that the image is there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines