• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bates Numbering cannot be removed and improper formatting.

New Here ,
Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having an issue with Adobe Acrobat Pro X. When we go in to add the number in the bottom right as a footer, we check the two appearance options, then the preview looks fine. After applying it to the PDF though, the last two pages always have the Bates number bleeding through the text instead of correctly adjusting the page. Also if you try to remove it after applying it like this, it will tell you that there are no Bates Numbering located in the current PDF. I found that it was all linked to this checked option:

When I removed this option, Bates Numbering works fine and formats correctly. I can also remove the Bates number afterwards. When this option is selected the last two pages are incorrectly formatted and you cannot remove the Bates Number.

I talked with our client and found that they do actually use different page sizes for certain legal documents and she needs it to stay checked. They had this program working and then suddenly it stopped a few weeks/months back. (Not sure of the exact time line of when it stopped.)

Is there any older Adobe Acrobat Pro X installations that I can try? Or any fix to this current issue that I could look for? Thank you for your help.

Garett Brooks - Business Information Solutions

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is an example of the Bates Number not formatting correctly with the appearance option checked:

Here's the error explaining that there is no Bates Numbering in this file, along with the exact Bates Number that I just added with Adobe:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Bisb,

Sorry for the delayed response and inconvenience caused. AS per the description above, you are not able to remove bates number and the format is not proper in a PDF file, Is that correct?

If the bates number were added by Acrobat, the Bates number doesn't contain the special identifying tags that allow Acrobat to find and remove them again - the same is true of other page elements such as headers and footers.

You can use the Redaction tool to remove the Bates number. If you have Acrobat Pro create a new Action (via Tools - Action Wizard) with the Remove Bates Numbering command and a Save command and then run it on your files.

Have you tried with the latest version of Acrobat Pro and have tried removing the Bates number? If not, please try with the latest version of Acrobat Pro DC Download Pro or Standard versions of Acrobat DC | Non-subscription

Is it specific to one PDF file or the error message comes with all the PDF file? Is the current PDF throwing the error is a scanned PDF?

We will not recommend installing an older version of Acrobat 10 as Acrobat 10 is already declared as an end of support product, for detailed information, please refer to End of support for Acrobat X and Reader X

If it's a scanned PDF< try running the OCR once, and then try. Is it possible to share the PDF file with us so that we can try it at our end? To share the file, please use Adobe Send feature, upload the file, share the link to files via private message only, How Do I Send Private Message

Let us know how it goes and share your findings.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same problem and I don't see that a solution, other than redacting each incorrect bates number, was proposed.  That solution is not really an option, with 1500 pages to redact.  Please help! I am using  Adobe Acrobat Pro. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A Redaction can be duplicated to all pages, if the text to remove is located in the same spot on all of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Were you able to find a fix for this? I am running into the same problem and with thousands of documents to fix going page by page is not really an option. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines