• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR Classic 7.2 Moving files to other folder doesn't update location in catalog

New Here ,
Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From Develop I move file(s) to a different folder (as I have done for years).  The file count in the folder shown under 'folders' goes up as expected.  But the file path shown on the metadata panel is not updating. Sometimes if I click on a different thumbnail and then on the thumbnail of the one just moved it will update, but often not.

If I close LR & reopen, the file(s) that was moved is shown as missing (metadata shows original folder) and it I "Locate" it, then its fine from then one.  Been doing this all week now.

rom develop I move files to a different folder (as I have done for years).  The file count in the folder shown under 'folders' goes up as expected.  But the file path shown on the metadata panel is not updating. Sometimes if I click on a different thumbnail it will, but often not.

If I close LR & reopen, the file that was moved is shown as missing and it I locate it, then its fine then then one out.  Been doing this all week now.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure you are moving folders in the Develop module?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bobscola  wrote

From Develop I move file(s) to a different folder (as I have done for years).  The file count in the folder shown under 'folders' goes up as expected.  But the file path shown on the metadata panel is not updating. Sometimes if I click on a different thumbnail and then on the thumbnail of the one just moved it will update, but often not.

If I close LR & reopen, the file(s) that was moved is shown as missing (metadata shows original folder) and it I "Locate" it, then its fine from then one.  Been doing this all week now.

Excuse me but there is no way, at least no way I know of, to move files from one folder to another while you are in the Develop module. To do that you have to be in the Library module with the left hand panel showing and the Folders section expanded.

If you mistakenly wrote Develop when you meant Library OK.

You'll need to show us some screen shots of Before and After the move.

I just tried this and If I have "Default" "Location" or "Quick Describe" selected in the Metadata section once I make the move it shows the new folder the file got moved to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry my bad, moving from Library module

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry my bad, moving from Library module, as I have been doing for years

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture1.PNG
Before move note the count in DoMP2018 is 133 files, and the location is in 20130315Dogs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture2.PNG
Then I drag the image into the DoMP2018 folder.  Note it now shows 134 files.
BUT the filepath is still 20180315Dogs.
If I close LR now, the file will be missing and I will need to Locate it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture3.PNG

I have discovered if I click on another thumbnail while in Library and then click on the thumbnail of the file I moved. It sometimes updates the Metadata. See how metadata now shows the file path as DoMP2018.  If I close LR now & reopen, everything is fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 16, 2018 Mar 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well do this in the Future.

Go to the actual Folder, in the "Folders" section, where the images is currently stored.

Select whatever image or images you want to move.

Click on one of them and Drag it to the Folder you want to move them to.

It looks like you are either in the All Photographs option in the Catalog section or have a Top Level folder selected or a Drive selected.

With any of those things selected in the Folders section and you are moving an image from one subfolder to another subfolder You have to give LR a chance to update itself to reflect the move.

Simplest thing to do is to go to the actual folder you moved it to and see if the images is there.

So really you don't have a problem. It is your method that needs updating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I've moving my files from LR collections to folders named after the collections for years now.
It has always worked flawlessly

And as a retired Microsoft Development Manager and someone whose been designing and responsible for designing large computer systems for 30 years, I know a bug when I see it. 

So with regards to

So really you don't have a problem. It is your method that needs updating.

I also know a condescending answer when I see one

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And it seems it still is. LR is still moving those image files from whatever folder they were in to the other folder. It just isn't updating the Path in the Metadata until you either go off the image that was moved and come back to it or go to the actual folder the image got move to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with JSM on updating your method of moving files from folder to folder. Perhaps to  make matters easier, change the view you are working with to make things less cluttered. You could try this - collapse or hide the panel on the right altogether, expand your folder column and move one folder to test. You should see the folder's updating as you do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines