• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I delete a background color that is on a locked layer to make the background transparent?

Participant ,
Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I delete a background color that is on a locked layer to make the background transparent?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To unlock the Background Layer double-click it (or use Layer > New > Layer from Background).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I double-clicked it but nothing happened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Could you please post a screenshot taken at View > 100% and with the pertinent Panels (Layers, Channels, Options Bar, …) visible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a small guide http://kb.restaurantengine.com/remove-logo-background-make-it-transparent-using-photoshop/ . I hope it would be helpful.
I have used its recommendations several times when I was making banners.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best practice might be to not delete that colour, but instead to make a selection of what you want to keep, and copy it to a new layer.  Then turn off the background layer.

By way of example, this just happened to be open at the moment, one of 600 images taken on a job last week.  This is absolutely how I will present the image as I am not going crazy with that many pictures, but to be fair, that orange umbrella segment at the top right is a distraction.

If I select the Quick Select tool and then Select Subject, Photoshop has done a pretty good job of guessing what I wanted right off the bat.

Or I could have used Focus > Focus Area which has a lot more options, but is still doing most of the work for me

Use Select & Mask to clean up the selection — I'll let Julianne Kost show you how that works.

But whatever way you go, you need to end up with the selected area on a new layer.

Then turn off the original background area, and you are good to go.

You can save this as a PNG file with a transparent background, or as a layered PSD file for later use.

In this instance I have used a layer mask so I can fine tune the selection after the fact.

You can paste your image to this thread if you have a particular issue you'd like addressed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines