• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to convert a jpeg/jpg to a CDR file...

Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2018 Mar 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear All

I am a CC 2018 user and recently created an image for a client, saving as a jpeg/jpg before sending.  The client has now asked for the image in CDR file format.  I have searched the Internet for a quick an easy solution using ether Indesign (where the original artwork was produced), Photoshop and Illustrator but cannot find one that works.  I had hoped that one of the aforementioned Adobe programs would have given a 'save as' or 'export as' option but this was wishful thinking.

I do not have access to Coral so can someone please let me know the best way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Ian

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Ian,

Just a quick question but have you tried the free 15-day trial at Corel Draw. I have included a link. I'm not sure if there are any restrictions on export/save but perhaps you could give it a try.

Graphic Design Software – CorelDRAW Graphics Suite 2017

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Astrobutch0901.

I've downloaded the trial and managed to convert to .cdr but had to convert the image to .ai to allow me to open it in CorelDraw 2017.  I will send the .cdr file to the client and see if that works for them but I can't help but wonder if there's a way to do this without the use of Corel.  We've invested quite heavily in Adobe's CC and really don't want to have to purchase Corel if this problem comes up in the future.

Thanks again.

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed Ian, most companies would naturally go the Adobe route as it is an industry standard. I guess if its something they need on a regular basis then without buying Corel Draw there are few other options. I would try to push them down the .ai or .pdf/psd route. Make life simpler!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A quick Google search "jpg to car" turned up several free sites. Although I can't vouch for any of them, this one seems trustworthy:

http://www.file-extension.org/convert/jpg-cdr

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 16, 2018 Mar 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Do they want a CDR file because they are expecting a vector image?

Almost all mentions of CDR are usually because they can contain vector elements.

Not having CorelDraw i can't say for sure, but it must also support raster (pixel) images.

I can't believe that they would require a raster (pixels only) image be placed in a CDR file before they will accept the file.

Something would be seriously wrong & inflexible if they won't accept jpgs, tifs, etc for pixel images.

After reading your original post, you mentioned the artwork was originally created in InDesign.

Was the artwork text and InDesign drawn elements only? if so, they would remain vector if you saved it as a PDF. Sending a .jpg would not be recommended in this case since all the vectors would be rasterized.

I would ask they why the need a CDR file. Is it because they are expecting an all vector only image in CDR format? A mix of vectors & pixels in the CDR format? A raster image only image? If so, why won't they accept native raster file format files like .jpd. tif, etc?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines