• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Effect on mask only? (mosaic, masking a pixelated movie)

Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2018 Mar 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am masking a pixelated movie, but when i mask it, the mask is sharp.

How can i pixelate the mask only? Without pixelating the source footage?

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 08, 2018 Mar 08, 2018

First, you need to create the mask in the layer. Then apply the Mosaic Effect. In the Timeline, go to the Effects category where you can find the Mosaic effect applied. Then, you will find a parameter called Compositing Options. Click on the "+" sign and then the Mosaic Effects will use your mask to limit the effect to this area. You can feather the mask if needed.

Captura de pantalla 2018-03-08 a las 16.59.47.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what you're trying to achieve. Are you trying to apply the Mosaic effect just a portion of the footage? If so just roll down the Mosaic effect options and you will see 'Composition Options', hit the plus and it will only apply the effect to your masked area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the source footage needs to stay the way it is. (The source footage already IS very pixelated)

I am trying to composite pixelated footage with other pixelated footage. I apply a mask on the 'top' layer. But the mask cuts of sharp..

How to pixelate the mask?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah I see. Just feather the mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But that blurs, doesn't it? Not pixelate like the mosaic effect?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well it will just soften the edges, which would help blend one mosaic image onto another. Send a screen grab of the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay so this is not possible.

Alternative: Use shape layers for the mask matte and put effects on that, and use a Set Matte effect on the layer you want to mask and set it to "Effects & Masks".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 16, 2018 Mar 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think Jose has the correct answer for you. Can you check it out, stagiairs?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, you need to create the mask in the layer. Then apply the Mosaic Effect. In the Timeline, go to the Effects category where you can find the Mosaic effect applied. Then, you will find a parameter called Compositing Options. Click on the "+" sign and then the Mosaic Effects will use your mask to limit the effect to this area. You can feather the mask if needed.

Captura de pantalla 2018-03-08 a las 16.59.47.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines