Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Move / Copy 3D Objects from one file to another in PS CC 2018

Participant ,
Mar 16, 2018 Mar 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings,

I would like to move / copy a 3D object from one file to another and can't for the life of me figure out how to do it. I'll try to explain as best I can, I don't think I know the correct terminology but here goes:

File A is a .psd file, with many objects in a 3D scene. I want to move one of those objects to another file, where I am building another 3D scene.

I have tried dragging layer group, but it won't let me. (gives circle / slash symbol.)

I've tried  [cmd] dragging the object, but it brings every object, in every layer into the new scene.

I've tried copy / paste, but it brings every object, in every layer into the new scene.

I've tried Export Layer, but it brings every object, in every layer into the new file.

Any thoughts?

In the screen grabs, the second image shows files A & B side-by-side.

This is maddening, I'm sure it is a simple process. (yes, I am new to the 3D tools in PS, but not to PS.)

iMac late 2012

OSX 10.13.3

Photoshop CC 2018 (19.0 release)

Thanks everyone.

grab1.jpg

grab2 copy.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 17, 2018 Mar 17, 2018

Hi

No problem with questions - that is what the forum is about.

If you use the Export Mesh method then you can only export one object at a time (not a group).

If you use the Export layer (or just drag the whole 3D layer across) then the whole scene will move together

To use an exported mesh in the new file then in the 3D layer use New 3D Layer from File - then merge 3D layers to bring the object into an existing scene.

Looking at what you are trying to do, I would drag the entire layer across to the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

The only two ways I know in Photoshop are to :

1. Copy or drag the entire 3D layer into the new document. Then delete the unwanted objects followed by 3D>Merge 3D layers

or

2. Export the 3D object from the old document to a file (e.g a *.dae file)  then in the new document use New 3D layer from file , followed by 3D >Merge 3D layers

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Export the 3D object from the old document to a file"

When I try to do that, it exports everything in the file...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

To export - right click the object in the 3D panel and choose "Export Mesh". Example below:

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That object is made up of 3 meshes, do I have to export them separately or is there a way to do it as one object?

grab-3.jpg

When I try to export by right clicking the group (is that a "mesh group?") the export mesh option is greyed out.

grab-4.png

By the way, thanks for helping here, I really appreciate it.

I did do some searching, watched some tuts etc but didn't see this covered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh also... how do I bring the exported mesh into the other scene?

I hope I'm not driving you crazy with questions.... thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2018 Mar 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

No problem with questions - that is what the forum is about.

If you use the Export Mesh method then you can only export one object at a time (not a group).

If you use the Export layer (or just drag the whole 3D layer across) then the whole scene will move together

To use an exported mesh in the new file then in the 3D layer use New 3D Layer from File - then merge 3D layers to bring the object into an existing scene.

Looking at what you are trying to do, I would drag the entire layer across to the new document and merge it with your new 3D layer. Then in the 3D panel turn off visibility of all groups/objects except those you want to move and then position the objects. You can then turn on visibility of the next group/object and move ....etc.  Any unused objects you can delete - or just leave visibility off.

Whilst some of this may seem awkward , you have to bear in mind that Photoshop is primarily a 2D image editor with some 3D facilities added. For full 3D flexibility a proper 3D application is better - for example Blender (which is free) allows you to easily move/copy 3D objects between layers. You can always bring the rendered output back into Photoshop.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave,

Good points - I am going to d.l. blender and mess with that a bit, think about whether I am using the right tools or not. 

I thought the PS tools would work, I'm not going after high degree of technical accuracy - the end product is a mockup for a sports venue showing stages, decor etc. I want to use all that truss to "build" a stage structure. The plan is to use Dimension to do the final 2D / 3D mockup.

Thanks for all your help!

BTW, a couple of last questions:

:: Is there a way I can merge the meshes that comprise an object?

:: What is the best way to bring the exported mesh object into the other file?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave and R.E.,

I looked at Blender and Sketchup, and Blender seems like a bit much for what I am trying to do.

So I downloaded a copy of Sketchup Pro, and it's going much better now. In fact, if it wasn't for the looming deadline, I would say I'm having fun. The interface is a lot more natural, and it's just easier to manage.

I tried Sketchup Free, but it runs in a browser and just doesn't seem like it has enough of what I want. Sketchup Pro is about $600 (...gulp...) but if this project takes off it will be well worth it.

Thanks guys,

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

They used to have a free "make" version as well, but Google is making it harder nowadays to find it, and obviously seems to be wanting non-commercial users to use that web-based version, unfortunately.

Luckily I found the list of direct downloads:

All Downloads | SketchUp

Before you purchase anything, also test the free Make 2017 version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Dave: doing this in Photoshop is like pulling teeth from a momma bear with cubs. In short: unpleasant, inconvenient, and far more difficult than it needs to be.

As suggested, Blender is a great option, although if you've never worked with a 3d app before it is going to be very confusing. Perhaps Sketchup would be a better idea, since it is aimed at architects en designers who start out in 3d.

https://www.blender.org/

Download SketchUp Make | SketchUp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks R.E., I will look at those options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines