• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Crashes constantly when using Overdrive books.

New Here ,
Jun 09, 2017 Jun 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of about 10:00 this evening, Digital Editions has become worse than useless when using Overdrive, the digital library my physical library has a membership in. Every time I try to download an Overdrive book, ADE crashes. When I reopen it, it pretends the book is there--but if I try to open it, it crashes again. Try to move the book to my Nook? Crashes. No fix, no error message--it just freezes for a minute until Windows tells me it's stopped responding.

Less troublesome but more annoying, these books stay there. No matter what I do. I'm up to five ghost files in my library (I tested various workarounds to see if any of them would let me use these files). They've all been returned according to the Overdrive catalog. They've all been deleted from my computer and don't even appear in the ADE manifest, and yet, every time I open ADE, there they are. ADE even prompts me every time to be sure I want to delete the files, even though I tell it every time not to ask me again.

There is of course the possibility that this is a problem with Overdrive, not ADE. But given that the files are staying in ADE, it seems to be on Adobe's end. I have restarted the computer, uninstalled and reinstalled ADE, installed an older version of ADE that supposedly didn't have the known glitch of leaving deleted files in the library, and deleted every mention of the actual files from my computer. I can easily download other EPUB books and can import those EPUB books to my ADE library without trouble.

Any input on what might be causing this or any suggested workarounds is appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2017 Jun 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case the problem occurs with acsm format files for newer ebooks and does not happen with older books regardless of the source.  I believe it is an Adobe problem because it happens when ADE is trying to process the acsm file which it cannot complete. It has nothing to do with which ereader you use since it occurs before you try to transfer it to the ereader.

I do not understand how Adobe has ignored the problem for years and judging by the large number of posts with the same problem, it is very widespread.  If Adobe wants us to use ADE and nothing else, they had better fix it so it works consistently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same. I can't find help anywhere. I'm beyond frustrated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here - as today, Digital Editions has become worse than useless when using Overdrive, the digital library my physical library has a membership in. Every time I try to download an Overdrive book, ADE crashes. When I reopen it, it pretends the book is there--but if I try to open it, it crashes again. Try to move the book to my Nook? Crashes. No fix, no error message--it just freezes for a minute until Windows tells me it's stopped responding.

Please do NOT mark this as answered when someone says you can cut and paste the book file in explorer - that is not a solution when you are working with Overdrive and a Nook.

Come on Adobe!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I called and directed customer service to this thread so, HOPEFULLY, someone will be in touch soon.

More specific details from my experience in case it helps:

I am running Windows 10 Home.

I have tried every previous edition of ADE that I can find.

I agree that some books download fine but more and more often they freeze during download. Those that freeze during download from OverDrive will also freeze when I try to read them in ADE or try to transfer them to my Nook.

I have deleted, uninstalled, restored, and tried every single other suggestion I can find on any forum. I have spoken with my local library support on several occasions. I have spoken with OverDrive Support. Here is all they can refer me to: OverDrive | What to do if Adobe Digital Editions is ... I have tried everything!

PLEASE help us! This problem is mentioned in threads dating back to 2015 with NO solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2018 Mar 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think I may have found a work around! I had to unauthorize my computer on ADE 4.5 and uninstall. Then, I searched ALL drives on my computer for ANY files containing ADE or Digital Editions and deleted everything that came up and emptied the recycling bin. Then, I downloaded ADE 3 here Adobe Digital Editions downloads. I authorized my computer using my OverDrive account, NOT Adobe. I was not able to download books I had tried to download in the previous version of ADE because they had been fulfilled by another device BUT if I returned them and borrowed again, they worked!! I hope this helps you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines