Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Different resolutions for one document

Participant ,
Mar 17, 2018 Mar 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i have to design a truck banner.

The size of the truck case is 300 x 700 cm.

I am working on 10 percent scale.
1. When creating my Ps document, what resolution do I input for this 10% size.

I have a 300dpi image at 5523 x 3546 pixels. I have to include in the artwork.

2. What steps do i take before placing it in the document(No. 1)?

Please help, thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just use the image as it is. It should contain enough pixels to work at that size. It won't be super sharp if you put your nose right into it, but it should work well from a normal viewing distance.

Forget about the 10%, that just confuses and complicates! Work at real size! Uncheck resample and set the dimensions.

Let the final ppi value end up where it will. In this case it will end up at around 22 - not stellar, but it should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for response.

Another things, in fact I have other panels that are much larger and the maximum document size is not enough.So, i do have to work on a reduced size. What do i do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, then set it to 50 %

The thing is, your ppi values aren't really relevant - or even important - here. What matters is how many pixels you have in the original image, and is that enough to result in a reasonable resolution for the intended use. The more pixels you have, the better.

The final resolution is a result of how many pixels you have.

Stop and consider the simple formula here: pixels per inch. Read it literally, it means exactly what it says.

The bigger the final print size, the lower the ppi required, because it will be seen from much farther away. The eye wants to take in the whole image, so you step away. You don't go up close, because that doesn't make any visual sense.

It's really about degrees of arc in your total filed of vision.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The general rule of thumb here is that a good, high-resolution camera image will work for anything. The bigger it is, the farther away, the lower the ppi. It will still occupy the same number of receptors on your retina - iow the same optical, perceived resolution.

Some people will probably advise you to resample / enlarge the file. You can do that, but I would not recommend it. It's not necessary. Any resampling introduces artifacts.

Concentrate on the quality as it is. Make sure it's optimally sharpened - which is to say, not too much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines