• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't access downloaded fonts in InDesign

New Here ,
Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using a Windows PC and someone sent me the fonts I need for a book I'm laying out. I installed these fonts on my computer and I'm now able to use them in Word, but not InDesign. I tried copying the fonts to the fonts folder in the InDesign folder on my hard drive but that hasn't worked.

Thanks for any help.

Maria

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

Save the document that's causing the problem as an IDML file (File > Save As > InDesign CS4 or later [IDML]). Then reopen the file. The file could be corrupted and this should fix corruption.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What fonts? What format? What version of Windows? What version of InDesign?

Have you tried putting them in the InDesign fonts folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fonts are Alex Brush and Cabin. They are OpenType font files. I'm working from Windows 10 and InDesign CC 2017.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

If you put a font in the Font folder located at Program Files/Adobe/InDesign [version]/Fonts folder, InDesign can almost always see it.

Also, once I too had the same problem and the below information from this thread Fonts not appearing in InDesign helped me: (I am only adding the information that helped me and not the entire thread comments)

Quoting Peter:

"If InDesign does not see the fonts added to the Fonts folder, either ID doesn't like the way they are made (ID is very fussy about fonts), or they have some problem, as with Arial Narrow on Windows (been discussed to death).

You can also try scrolling through the list and look under the family as well as the foundry name. Also, Cyrillic and Asian fonts are in sections by themselves at the end of the list, and after those are fonts that ID is unable to classify, so take a look at the bottom, too."

Do check the thread above for more information!

Still if this doesnt help check this troubleshooting page especially Solution 6: Fonts don't appear in the Font menu | Adobe InDesign 2.x, CS, CS2

Do let us know if you are able to resolve the problem at your end

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried all the suggestions from both those pages, but it still doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

i downloaded the fonts from Free Fonts! Legit Free & Quality » Font Squirrel and I am able to see them

Since none of the above mentioned methods worked for you, you can try downloading the fonts from the link i posted?

What font version?can be seen here...

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried downloading the fonts from your link but they still would not work in my file. However I tried creating a new InDesign document and I was able to use both those fonts without any issue. So it seems to be working with InDesign, just not with the document I have already created. Do you have any idea how I can fix this so I can keep my current document, as it already has a lot of content?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save the document that's causing the problem as an IDML file (File > Save As > InDesign CS4 or later [IDML]). Then reopen the file. The file could be corrupted and this should fix corruption.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked! Thank you all for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 17, 2018 Mar 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Huh? I have the same problem, and ALL my other programs do just fine locating fonts.  Why is it Adobe's flagship font manipulation application can't find it's posterior with both hands in the bright sun?  I pay lots of money every month without fail for this software, doing something akin to sacrificing a chicken to bring in one font at a time, fonts that other Adobe programs can see, is to be polite, a non-starter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines