• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I accidentally imported and edited dozens of photos in a previous version of Lightroom

New Here ,
Mar 17, 2018 Mar 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have NO idea how I opened the wrong Lightroom, but I have already been using the new Lightroom Classic, and today I opened a folder of images in Lightroom CC 2015 and spent hours keywording, editing, and sorting them into a collection. I went into my collection and noticed my colour labels were all missing and that's when I realized I was in the wrong version.

Is there a way I can get this folder, the smart previews, metadata, etc into Lightroom Classic without having to redo everything. WAAA!! Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2018 Mar 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest you-

First make backups of your current catalog.

1) Open Lightroom CC2015 and the catalog where you did the editing,

2) Make a selection of the edited photos,

3) Go Menu> File > Export as Catalog (call it "Temporary")

Export a catalog |

4) Now close CC2015 ,

5) Open LR Classic and your "Classic" catalog and go Menu > File > Import from another Catalog, (This is a Catalog "Merge")

Merging Individual Lightroom Catalogs into a “Master” Catalog - YouTube

6) Choose the "Temporary" catalog.

I have not use this procedure so there may be some changes needed-

* In Step-2, you can limit the photos in the "temporary" catalog by selecting photos in the Library grid. For a Folder of photos, or a Collection of photos selected, with a Right-click, you can choose "Export this Folder as a Catalog" or "Export this Collection as a Catalog"

* In Step-5 If Classic says the "Temporary" catalog cannot be imported, then you may have to open it first with Classic and let Classic upgrade its format from CC2015 to Classic. Then go back to your Classic working catalog and re-try the "Import from another Catalog"

It might all sound complicated, but research the links and give it a go.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2018 Mar 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Besides the method advised by WobertC using Export as Catalog (which is the most powerful if slightly laborious solution) there may be a quicker and easier way - NOTE apart from virtual copies / proofing copies. Transferring these does require the Catalog export / import method.

(That's still worth trying once, to demystify it, but it may often be overkill. It's very useful for the planned merging of (say) the new contents of a "travel" Catalog on a laptop, into a "main" Catalog on a desktop, when you return from a trip.)

This simpler option would be to write your edits and keywords out to the image files, which you have applied using the older LR.

NOTE Collection membership cannot be written out to file, so one workaround is to first apply a special keyword to those images, collection by collection, denoting this membership in a way that can be written to file.

Then simply highlight the images concerned and press Ctrl+S (Mac: Cmd+S). LR copies Catalog metadata to the file system.

• When you now import (Add in the standard manner) all these images into your new Catalog, all of that previously written metadata will get included automatically. You can now filter and highlight all images possessing that previously applied special keyword, then recreate such a Collection within your current Catalog (checking the option to add currently selected images).
  • Or if you have already imported those images, you can use "Read Metadata from File" to bring that keywording etc into your current Catalog replacing all the currently seen image attributes (Library and Develop). The same comments about Collection membership and virtual copies still apply here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With all due respect Richard, I would not recommend writing XMP to files over the saving as catalog/import from another catalog method. First of all it is probably more laborious if you have to work this out per collection and add temporary stuff to mark collection memberships. And you lose information you don't have to lose. You lose edit history, color labels, stacks, and virtual copies.

Writing to XMP is useful if you transfer images from one application to another. It is hardly ever useful if you stay within Lightroom.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with JohanEl54.

While this user has said she has just edited photos, we don't really know if she used other features that will not transfer that way. And the recommendation to transfer using XMP does not apply in general, and others reading this may be somewhat mis-led because they may have used features that will not transfer this way.

Exporting as Catalog is the way to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Exporting as Catalog is certainly well worth it for transferring 1000 photos. For just 1 photo, that'd probably be overkill though.

Cases in between 1 and 1000: YMMV (grin)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do agree with your points JohanEl54, and I did acknowledge as much with some important caveats.

My suggestion was only aimed at the situation where a narrow and known set of images had been worked on in one LR version, primarily in Library, and where that work needs to be brought not only into a different Catalog, but into a different version of LR too.

So there's the extra complication of upgrading the intermediate Catalog to consider (as WobertC has already described).

OTOH, XMP data is LR-version-neutral. You could even bring info backwards from newer to older LR version this way (as you couldn't with a Catalog); any metadata field that is not understood is simply disregarded. So this method, and its related tactics, are worth having in the toolbox.

Preserving History is another very good point, though only relevant so far as any Develop edits. And it didn't sound as if those had gone very far as yet.

The OP mentioned making only one Collection rather than many. If all the images concerned belong to that, then it is an insignificant extra step to add such a keyword and then later to recreate the Collection in the new context. Or merely, to add the newly imported images as seen in the Previous Import view, to that Collection without bothering with the keyword.

As to preserving the edits of a Virtual Copy, one workaround if one had to use XMP might be to save its current Develop settings as a Snapshot. This gets included when the master image writes its own XMP to file, even though the source for that Snapshot's contents was originally a VC.

But as I mentioned, if there are significant numbers of VCs and Collections involved, the Catalog method is IMO the only workable one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After exporting the collection that you spent time editing to save that work you may want to change a few things so this doesn't happen again.

Where are you opening Lr from? Try opening from the Creative Cloud Manager at the top of the screen. Do you have more than 1 Lr icon in the dock? If yes right-click on the icon that has a black dot under it and in Options select Keep in Dock. Remove the other icon from the Dock.

Another option is to navigate to your Pictures folder > open the Lightroom folder > how many .lrcat files do you have here? Do you have a -2.lrcat file? If yes open that file. Delete the old - out of date .lr cat files once you are sure you are able to open the -2.lrcat file and everything is in order as you expect it to be.

I'd recommend that you change your catalog preferences: Go to your Catalog Preferences and change the first setting to Prompt Me When Opening Lightroom. Quit and then reopen Lr. This time you will be prompted to select a catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines