• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Expression to tilt layer with speed?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2018 Mar 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have been having this Idea to animate a layer with motion sketch and then apply an expression to automatically tilt the object when it accelerates.

I wanted to do this to simulate the object being held on its anchor point and being flung around by gravity.

I've had multiple issues trying to make an expression with my lack of understanding on how to make them.

The first issue I am having is that the object has to tilt in the right direction.

The second issue is that when the Layer stops moving that it doesn't fade back to its normal rotation slowly.

There would also be the problem of movement on the Y axis translating to the rotation increasing or decreasing if rotation already exists.

I know that making an expression like this is very complicated but this expression would be incredibly useful for me and would save me from buying gravity simulation software that I don't really need.

If this is actually possible my next question would be if you would be able to do this in three diminsions

(I am willing to sacrifice some realism to make this work)

Thanks for the help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 18, 2018 Mar 18, 2018

Entirely possible, but to be blunt - begging people to work for free is probably not a good approach to get your work done. I'm certainly having a "Huh? What is this guy even thinking?" moment. This is complex vector math stuff, especially once you go 3D and as I wrote just a few days ago in this thread, combining keyframe animation with physics is always tricky. Your post doesn't even make sense on a level of the physics. No, the rotation of an already rotated objecxt wouldn't simply increase j

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Mar 18, 2018 Mar 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Entirely possible, but to be blunt - begging people to work for free is probably not a good approach to get your work done. I'm certainly having a "Huh? What is this guy even thinking?" moment. This is complex vector math stuff, especially once you go 3D and as I wrote just a few days ago in this thread, combining keyframe animation with physics is always tricky. Your post doesn't even make sense on a level of the physics. No, the rotation of an already rotated objecxt wouldn't simply increase just because of inertia because this whole thing is entirely dependent on the distribution of the weight, which in AE translates to anchor point placment and the surface area and aspect ratio of the sahpe  (its bounding box at least). As you see, far from trivial and rather than hoping to cobble together complex expressions that may be slow and unwieldy, it might in fact be much simpler to look into other options, even if it means spending money.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2018 Mar 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry, I should have been a little more clear in my post.

I was just asking if it was even possible in the first place and if I'm just wasting my time trying to work this out or even if somebody already has made something like this public before.

Thanks for the quick response! Now I at least know where to start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines