• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PhotoShop pointer stopped working for cropping -- how to fix?

New Here ,
Mar 17, 2018 Mar 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using PhotoShop for years at a very rudimentary level. When I want to crop something I have just used the point to drag across the rectangle I want to save, and then crop. Suddenly, the pointer won't work in this manner and I am unable to make a selection in order to crop.

Something happened abruptly in the middle of a project and restarting the computer doesn't help.

I did get a message saying my "problem" could be resolved by downloading Creative Cloud. Doesn't seem right.

Please help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Mar 18, 2018 Mar 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have not provided any exact system info, no version info nor any other details, so it is impossible to make sense of thsi. From hardware acceleration issues to mundane problems with input devices this could be anything.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you getting an error message then?  If yes, what does it say _exactly_ or could you paste a screen shot here.

What version of Photoshop are you using?
What operating system?

What have you tried in order to fix your issue?  Have you tried resetting Preferences for instance?  We need a lot more information to give you a decent answer, but from the little you have told us, my gut is that it's either user error, or will come right by resetting Preferences.

Good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you. Got it fixed. No error message — just wouldn’t for a rectangle for cropping. Went into the Preferences somewhere and hit “Preset” and that seemed to be what got it working again. Also neutered something where my shift key could change modes. Not sure what — but after a couple of frustrating hours (including this post and some unhelpful tutorials) — it is working again and I am back on my project.

If I post here again I will be more precise about my operating system (mac) and version of PhotoShop (current, rented monthly from a cloud).

Thanks again for the responses!

Bob Zybach

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines