• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Suddenly cannot rename or move folders in Lightroom 4.4

New Here ,
Mar 18, 2018 Mar 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of yesterday in our Lightroom 4.4 we cannot rename or move any of our photo folders within Lightroom. (I had to do it in the files in Windows Explorer, then link the missing folder in Lightroom). It worked perfectly before that. We can't think of anything different that we have consciously done to change anything. Does anyone know what the problem could be and how to fix it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That version of Lightroom has been out of production for several years. What has been your procedure for moving folders? What happens when you try to use that procedure now? What version of Windows are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has been drag and drop to move folders and using the rename drop down to rename files. Now for both a message box says that the named folder cannot be renamed or moved. We have Windows 10, and it worked fine until yesterday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first thing I would do is check the permissions on BOTH the original folder and the destination folder (where you are moving the photos to). Both have to have WRITE permission.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I looked and they both have all the permissions checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is there about your workflow that requires you to move or rename folders?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We don't move files very often, but do rename them every time we download photos as we wish to mention the content items or place locations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are those folders open or in use by another process like Windows Explorer or some backup program?

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the folders are not open. We don't have Windows Explorer open when renaming the Lightroom files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what has changed? I don't have Lightroom 4.4 installed anymore. I have Lightroom Classic CC. But if I go to the library and right-click on the folder name I have the option to rename the folder. What happens in your case?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's when the box pops up with the message that says "The folder (whatever its name is) cannot be renamed or moved."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 14, 2019 Sep 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the most up to date Lightroom and this is happening to me. Adobe really does not care, so look to Affinity and luminar as your eventual way forward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2019 Sep 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Satchmo, I am sorry you are having an issue. May I suggest you start a new thread giving all your details as this thread starts with Lr4.4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines