Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Corrupt Proj

Jan 21, 2009 Jan 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I received a pop-up msg that stated my project was corrupt & that I should delete the cpd & xpj files. I did this then tried opening the project through the hhp file. I received an Application Error ("the instruction at [0x00] referenced memory at [0x00]. The memory could not be read. The application then closes.

How can I recover the project?

I have other projects that I can access, however, I experiencing publication issues with those. I publish & everthing appears normal but when I check the output, the changes were not published.

Any thoughts on what's going on with the publishing issue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My first question is, "Where is the project source located?" If it is on a network drive, this may well be the cause of your problems. You should always have your source files on a local drive and backup to a network as required. That said, check out this link for how to open the project from the .HHP file. If this still doesn't work, it may be a case of looking for a backup and trying that.

As far as your publishing issues are concerned, are you saying that the publish process appears to complete (i.e. you get the progress bar) but that when you check the server there are no amended files? Try again with the Output View displayed (VIew > Output View menu item) to see if there is an error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think that message will have told you to delete the XPJ, just the CPD.

Also the Application Error message is directly related to your other post. You cannot have output files in the source. You must clean them up.

Are you publishing or or just generating? Check the generated output and see if that is showing the changes.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colum, the instructions in the link you provided worked. I can now access the project. It is saved locally :)

The Application Error msg hasn't re-appeared. Prior to receiving the error msg, I cleaned up the output files that I imported. Is there anything else that could have contributed to that error msg?

Publishing isn't working properly. I generate before publishing. The progress bar appears & even the results summary - all looks well. The output view displays "Ready" throughout the publishing process. I see the changes when I view the project from within RH, but not if I access the project from the end-user's link. I've not changed any settings on the Generate wizard screens.
What could be the cause of this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 22, 2009 Jan 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Peter has highlighted, the application error is caused by importing the ouput files rather than the source files. They are two distinct entities.

As for publishing, you say, "The output view displays "Ready" throughout the publishing process." I'm not sure what you mean by this. You should just get one other message after the "Compilation Complete" message which is "Successfully published to projectname WebHelp Output". Can you explain further what is happening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see a "successfully published message." Where should this appear? on the Output view or on a pop-up? I see two things: 1. "Publishing to..." pop-up that has the progress bar then 2. "Publishing results" pop-up, which lists number of files & number of files published (both numbers match up) along with a list of file names published.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't get publishing results unless RH has published. You will get some sort of failure mesage instead.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, although the publishing process appears to have been executed without problems, I don't see the updates using the end-user's link to the project. Are you aware of other factors that may be contributing to the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you accessing the published help?

If you open it at the default topic and then navigate using the TOC, Index, Search and Links, can you get to the new / amended topics? Does it only fail if called from the application? If the answers are Yes, then it sounds like the developers have not created the calls.

Could it be that you are publishing to one location but the developers are calling from elsewhere? Have you spoken to the developers about this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The end-user accesses the project from a link to our intranet. The link is working, only it's not the latest version of the project.

I've tried searching for the updates using the methods you suggested & no success.

I've created a new topic in the project, published, then scanned the files stored on the server & the new topic is not there.

I've opened a Help Desk ticket, but I.T. hasn't contacted me yet - we don't have much IT support for this application. Right now, the forum is my primary resource for help....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you see that server via Windows Explorer? I think you are not publishing to where you think you are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you absolutely sure that your publish step points to the correct the link on the intranet page and the application links to this same URL? What happens if you try to manually look at the start page on the server via Windows Explorer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I see the server via Windows Explorer? I think so, let me explain what I am doing ....

The path for the end-user to access the project is : "name of server for the intranet/name of folder that stores the project/default topic htm"

If I drop off the "default topic.htm" part of the path then I see all the output files. When I access the start/default page from here I do not see the latest version of the page.

Prior to this incident, I've been able to publish sucessfully with the current setup & one particular project has been up & running for a couple of years. I've not changed any settings & I haven't uncovered any changes on the I.T. side yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. From here I'd create a new Webhelp single source layout and set it up as required. Try to generate and publish the output. If it doesn't work, can you create another small project (just a couple of topics would do) and publish that to a different folder on the server. If that does not get through, the problem is with the server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Eva, it's possible that in your setup you are publishing to an intermediate location. Back when I worked in the corporate world, I published to what we called a "staging server". An automated process copied files from the staging server to the production server.

I've also seen larger setups where there were multiple production servers. Sometimes it would take as long as half an hour before all production servers received updates. Because of load balancing, sometimes you would see updates because you were receiving files from one server. On the next click, the files would come from a different server that had not yet received updates.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 28, 2009 Jan 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I.T. determined that files were being uploaded to the server, but not the specified folder. As a work-around, the FTP settings were changed so now a User ID & password are required (previously the "anonymous user" box was checked).

Any ideas on why the files were going to the folder specified in the Server Directory field?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eva

Are we to assume this is a typo?

You said:
Any ideas on why the files were going to the folder specified in the Server Directory field?

Uhh, because that's where you told them to go?

I think perhaps you meant to say instead:
Any ideas on why the files were NOT going to the folder specified in the Server Directory field?

And if I knew the answer to that, I'd be buying lottery tickets and specifying the numbers!

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick - yes, that's what I meant to say. I am more than thankful there's a work-around, but it would be even better to know what caused the problem to begin with.

Peter, Colum & Rick - many thanks for your responses! :)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
This may be a bit of a longshot but maybe creating a new single source layout and duplicating the settings may get around the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp