Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

One of my actions finishes with Close, but the Close doesn't execute

New Here ,
Mar 16, 2018 Mar 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

The final step of one of my actions is to Close the file, when I automate this action (File, Automate, Batch), the close action doesn't run. Resulting in each of my files remaining open throughout the entire process, which tanks my PC. Why is this, and how can I fix it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 19, 2018 Mar 19, 2018

Yes If the Plug-in added a document into Photoshop Two close steps would be needed...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2018 Mar 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try resetting all tool and if that doe not fix your Problem Try resetting your Photoshop Preferences.  Close No Save should work. It is a Close no Save step right?  You did not Post the action....

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2018 Mar 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the Action I'm running, some of the tools are from a third party plugin, but that shouldn't affect the Close action. Just tested again after clearing the preferences and had the same result. It finishes on one file and just leaves that file open when it opens the next one. After a few hundred files the temp data for photoshop gets bloated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the Close no save step. It is there so it is either not working or not being executed.  It was recorded in the action after the Step

Quick Save To Format

Document File Path" "xxx"

Document Format: Tiff"

which was recorded before the Close No Save step.  I do not recognize that as being a standard Photoshop Command or Plug-in.  If it is a third party Photoshop Plug-in it has Action support programmed in for its names and setting used in its Dialog have been recorded into the action step.  If this step executes and you documents are being saved with their Document Name and are .tif or .tiff in folders "G:\Avenza\NOAA Batch Upload\" that step is execuring.  It also may may be possibly the Plug-in is  throwing an error or some how ending the action being platyed which would leave the current Document Opened by Bach open in Photoshop and Photoshop  Batch Process would move on to the next  file to be propcessed.  When you set up the Batch process did you leave it set stop on error or  have it Log errors.  If loged were any errors logged?

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured it out! Basically, the third party command was exporting to a new TIFF file that was opening, and the Close was closing the existing KAP file. This meant that the close did execute, but it only affected one of the two open files. A simple Close All at the end of the action closed not just the TIFF file but the original KAP file as well. Without automation, the third party plugin closes the pre-exported file (in my case the KAP) when it exports, but it must not in the automation, causing my confusion. No error message appeared in the log for this.

Thanks for your help! The action is running smoothly now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes If the Plug-in added a document into Photoshop Two close steps would be needed...

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines