• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom CC Classic hangs on File Open Window

New Here ,
Mar 19, 2018 Mar 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an annoying problem in Lightroom on Windows 10.

Every time I want to open a file and the File Open Window shows itself, Lightroom freezes and does not respond to anything, except a kill from the Task Manager. I have restarted Lightroom to see if the problem would go away, but it seems I am stuck with it.

That happens when I try to open a catalog, when I try to add an application with which to edit, choosing a directiry to which to export my photo. In general every time I get this File Open Window, Lightroom freezes and I will have to kill it.

Anyone with an idea on what to do?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2018 Mar 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

andres87630092  wrote

Every time I want to open a file

Lightroom does not "Open" files (only catalogs  .LRCAT).  What exactly are you trying to do?

when I try to open a catalog

So you have one catalog currently viewing, and you want to change to another- is that correct? Is that what you are trying to do, find the other catalog.LRCAT file in Explorer?

when I try to add an application with which to edit

And are you doing his in the External Editors/Preferences dialog?  Do you mean that you cannot search for the External editor in a File Explorer Window?

choosing a directory to which to export my photo.

So you are seeing the problem from the Export Dialog [Choose] also.

It might suggest you have problems with your Windows system, or Lightroom is not interfacing with the operating system (File Explorer).

Suggestions-  might be to reset your Preferences file, and also re-install (or update) Classic-7.2

Reply with as much information as you can to help with a possible answer.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi WobertC,

Your assumptions are correct. When I try to open a catalog, as well as when I try to select an external editor, Lightroom freezes as the Windows File Explorer shows up.

I do also agree with your conclusion that Lightroom and the OS are not interfacing correctly, the symptoms surely point in that direction.

Can you tell me how to reset my Preferences file? I will try that, before I will try a re-install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a look here: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

There you'll find all inforamation about reseting preferences.

Axel

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Axel,

Thanks for the link.

Unfortunately resetting the preferences did not help. So, I will see if a re-install can solve it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A re-install did not solve the problem either. It made it unfortunately even worse, as before I had my default catalog opened. So I could edit and publish photos, but now I would need to open the catalog first and trying to select it brings up the File Open Window, which freezes Lightroom.

Does anyone have a suggestion? As the product is totally useless at the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had my default catalog opened. So I could edit and publish photos, but now I would need to open the catalog first and trying to select it brings up the File Open Window,

I do not understand what you mean by this.

Lightroom cannot run without a Catalog. When you start Lightroom it 'Opens' the default catalog, there is no "trying to select it" involved.

Are you using several catalogs? And trying to swap from one to another?

Can you show us some screen-clips to indicate the process you are following? And any error messages you are seeing?

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry for being vague.

What I meant is: before the re-install, Lightroom was configured to open a specific catalogue when it starts. That was in the preferences, which I had removed during the uninstall.

Pretty stupid, as I had a copy before (when I tried whether the reset of the preferences would help), but I removed that copy before doing the uninstall. And no, it's not in the Recycle Bin.

However, your response did get me to think a bit further and I managed to get around this issue, by double-clicking the .lrcat file, which opens Lightroom with my catalogue.

Still leaving me with the original problem, that Lightroom freezes when I have the Explorer File Open Window show up. But at least I can do something again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines