• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't get a new update redirected to other page _javascript:/*https://get3.adobe.com/flashplayer/update/ppapi/

Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2018 Mar 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can't update my flash. I get noticed to download, I click it and firefox opens

https://get3.adobe.com/flashplayer/update/ppapi/

then suddenly address bar changes to  _javascript:/*https://get3.adobe.com/flashplayer/update/ppapi/

and this opens google.com search _javascript:/*https://get3.adobe.com/flashplayer/update/ppapi/

Flash-problem.gifFlash-problem2.gif

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 19, 2018 Mar 19, 2018

Hi mypc12v

I am not able to reproduce. I configured Firefox as the default browser on my Windows 10 Home test machine.  I triggered the Update Notification dialog and clicked 'Download'.  Firefox launched to Adobe - Adobe Flash Player Download and stayed there.

It appears there's an issue with the redirect.  It may, or may not have been fixed, however, I will forward this post to the team responsible for the page in question.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2018 Mar 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, is it possible to just get the software w/o all the pre-installed bloatware, like we have to watch every small box and uncheck it. Why Adobe can't just release the software and not try to trick people with unwanted add on software? Just be upfront and straight forward, if we need McAfee we'll go get it, but we came here to get the Flash update.

By the way, I ran Bitdefender and Malwarebytes, both proven and top rated software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2018 Mar 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mypc12v  wrote

Also, is it possible to just get the software w/o all the pre-installed bloatware, like we have to watch every small box and uncheck it. Why Adobe can't just release the software and not try to trick people with unwanted add on software? Just be upfront and straight forward, if we need McAfee we'll go get it, but we came here to get the Flash update.

It's really unfortunate that you need opting out of this. It's not that Adobe is dependant on the revenue of bloatware. May be they took over a long-term contract from Macromedia?

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mypc12v

I am not able to reproduce. I configured Firefox as the default browser on my Windows 10 Home test machine.  I triggered the Update Notification dialog and clicked 'Download'.  Firefox launched to Adobe - Adobe Flash Player Download and stayed there.

It appears there's an issue with the redirect.  It may, or may not have been fixed, however, I will forward this post to the team responsible for the page in question.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you, Maria. Also, pass them the request to remove the bloatware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same problem with it jumping to the java page after seeing the download page for a split second.  So I can't stream tv on my computer now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ saraw83935626

What java page are you referring to?

What operating system and browser are you attempting to install Flash Player for?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like a basic java.com page with a list of options it offers (I dnot understand what they mean, but none relate to adobe in any way). I have windows 10, an HP desktop compute, and use Mozilla Firefox.   Adobe acrobat reader works just fine Btw. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Flash Player download page wouldn't be redirecting to java.com.

There are essentially 2 download URLs, get.adobe.com and get3.adobe.com.  What is the exact URL you are experiencing this behaviour with?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From your instructions I entered get.adobe.com.  Which brought up https://www.adobe.com/#

clicked on ‘Individuals’

goes to an Adobe page: ‘Make it Creative Cloud’ about Adobe Creative Cloud

so didn’t click on anything

but saw ‘sign in‘ link so I signed into my adobe account

then did a search “download Adobe Flash Player“

went to page about”What is Adobe Flash Player?”

was no link or button for ‘download‘

so I searched “download “ and got page said “we’re unable to perform a search right now, please try again later”

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There appears to be some confusion.  I didn't provide any instructions.  I asked for you to provide the exact URL you were going to that resulted in the redirect to java.com.

The original poster to this thread posted a URL that is specific to the Flash Player type (in this case the PPAPI plugin) that requested the update on their system.  If you are experiencing the same behaviour, then the URL for the Flash Player the requested the update on your system may very well be different, as there are three Flash Player types that can request the update - ActiveX (for IE), NPAPI (for Firefox/Safari), or PPAPI (for Chromium-based browsers), and this is the URL I was asking for.  I used get.adobe.com and get3.adobe.com as examples of the base URL (not complete URLs as the URLs vary depending on update type and Flash Player type requesting the update).  I apologize for not being clear on this.

What operating system and browser are you using?

What happens when you go to get3.adobe.com/flashplayer?

so I searched “download “ and got page said “we’re unable to perform a search right now, please try again later”

This seems to indicate there is an issue with your system and/or internet connection

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you said there are two url’s I thought you meant try them.

So I typed in ‘get3.adobe.com/flashplayer‘ which brought up url:  https://get3.adobe.com/flashplayer

brought up message saying: Forbidden (big, bold) you don’t have permission to access flashplayer on this server.

Im using Mozilla Firefox and Windows 10

So I went back to original “download adobe flash player” and recreated the half secon view of the adobe download page but went to this java url:

_javascript/?pid=9PO312GO9&dn=javascript.com&rpid=2PO5N5455

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I apologize, the URL I posted had a typo.  It shouldn't have the 3 in it.  just get.adobe.com/flashplayer.

The get3.adobe.com URL is specific to the update workflow and requires specific parameters.  Without these it results in the error you were seeing.

So I went back to original “download adobe flash player”

What URL are you using in this scenario?  We need this URL/workflow to investigate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

the download page, from what I can see, appears for a split second then goes to that java url.

really appreciate your assistance on this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for confirming.  Sorry for the convoluted way we got to the URL.

I'm not at all able to reproduce the behaviour.  Using a Window 10 system with the latest Firefox (59.0.1) I go to https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer and the page does not redirect.  I also tested outside of the Adobe network and the page doesn't redirect.  Just remains at the Flash Player download page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mypc12v  and saraw83935626

Have you tried clearing the browser cache, cookies, history etc?

Does this redirect only happen when you visit get.adobe.com/flashplayer, or does it happen with other sites as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has not happened on other sites that I norma frequent.   So I’m as stymied as you are.  I cleared every cache I can think of.  Restarted my computer.  Still happens. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the update.  I did notify the team responsible for this page and am waiting to hear back from them.

Can you check if the http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/ page works for you? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did seem to wor.  I went through the whole normal download process.  Said it was complet.  Restart my browser.   so couldn’t see an icon for it on my main desk page and when I searched for it at the start it wasn’t showing so I decided to test it.  I sent into my comcast/Xfinity Home page and clicked on watch tv now (which is where this all started last night when I wanted to watch my basketball gam).  The message comes up

Xfinitystream

adobe Flash Playe is having troublE.  To continu, install the latest version (link) if Flash Playe.  If you have the latest version installe, click on the button below to enabl.  If this button is disabled or missing, turn on Flash (link) in your browser settingS.  To see if resolved refresh your browser. 

So I tooled around and determined AFP is an add-on plug-in so went through some steps to unblock and activate it and to make a long story shorter I’m watching live abc news right now so problem solved.  Some buffering but that’s our internet here.   Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're welcome.  glad it's working for you now.

Yes, Flash Player is a browser plugin and won't create a desktop shortcut.  Most browser's now disable Flash by default, forcing user's to enable it, usually for each site.  Here's Firefox's support document, Why do I have to click to activate plugins? | Firefox Help I thought I had posted it earlier, but I see I didn't.

You mention you're using Windows 10.  If you use IE or Edge, Microsoft embeds Flash Player in IE and Edge on Windows 10, and Microsoft releases the Flash Player for IE/edge updates via Windows Update, so there isn't a separate Flash Player plugin to install.  However, Microsoft does disable Flash in both IE and Edge.  For reference, here's the tech notes to enable Flash in IE and Edge on Windows 10:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi Maria,

I use Firefox, the latest version, Win 10. I get a popup from Adobe Flash updating manager, informing that there is a new update. I click to get the update and Firefox opens up and the pre-assigned web address, I also tried to manually type it myself

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjS5fPl_v3Z...

https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/    

Immediately after entering this address and pressing enter, i get routed to the correct site, but them the prefix forms Adobe Flash Player Install for all versions

_javascript:/*https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/                                

and google shows web results

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

only this site correctly allows me to download the flash w/o being re-rerouted

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

Also, please look into removing the junk adware aka McAfee add-on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi mypc12v

Thank you for the additional information.  I'll try again to reproduce it.  The specific pre-assigned web address is to ensure the correct Flash Player type (ActiveX, NPAPI, or PPAPI) is downloaded, based on which one made the update request.

So far you and saraw83935626 are the only 2 reporting this, at least on these forums.  Can't say if it's being reported elsewhere on the internet.  What is your geo location?   It's possible it's a bad node on the CDN somewhere, or something else. 

I'm glad the alternate download site worked for you as well.  The optional third party offerings are business decisions beyond my abilities to have any direct input in.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi saraw83935626​,

I'm happy that your problem has been solved. I just wanted to give you a small precision on Java and Javascript.

Java is a programming language developed by SUN and now belongs to ORACLE. (www.oracle.com) JAVA is running on many devices, so there is a big chance that a bunch of devices you have at home are running JAVA (like your washing machine, may be your TV set ...)

Javascript is a programming language used mainly on web sites to automate some tasks. It has been developed initially by Netscape, the company who commercialized a browser at the time called Netscape (and that one evolved into Mozilla's Firefox). Both languages are not related with the exception that they use at a first view common programming paradigms.

If you find something like

_javascript/?pid=9PO312GO9&dn=javascript.com&rpid=2PO5N5455

it's pointing to somewhere to javascript...

The parameters are interesting: PID is normally an acronym for Process Identifier, the & is a parameter separator.

Javascript.com is a site where you can learn Javascript and I doubt that it is connected to Adobe.

I cannot explain what is going on in your computer, but I would do a virus check and spyware check. I would also look at the browser add ons installed on your browser.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ mypc12v

What browser are you attempting to install Flash Player PPAPI for?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines