• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Change Default Brush in preset

Contributor ,
Mar 18, 2018 Mar 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could any one tell me what is the command set to choose a brush other than the brush that is defined in a brush preset? Most of the Photoshop brushes have a defined brush but I forgot the commands to release the defined brush and choose another instead.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Ed

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can select brushes in the Brushes panel. After selecting a brush, you can configure it using the Brush settings panel.

Marlon Ceballos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi marliton​, there is a key command for releasing the brush but I just cannot remember it. Thank you for your response. Note the red circles in these samples of brush presets: Brushes   

They are presents with defined brushes and there is a command to allow you to use another brush instead. If you don't use it you re stuck with that brush unless, as you say, you change the values on the preset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sanpanza  wrote

Hi marliton , there is a key command for releasing the brush but I just cannot remember it. Thank you for your response.

You don't 'release' a preset as such.  Just choose another preset.  That will remain as the selected brush until you select another brush preset.  This is regardless of restarting Photoshop.  Brush presets are tied to tools, so the Mixer Brush, and Art History Brush store their own presets.

If you are using CC 2018, are you aware that it now stores tool presets as well as brush presets?  That means that selecting some presets will automatically switch tools — something that has confused and frustrated people when this was introduced.  The best advice I can give you is to watch this video description of the way it works now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I understand that marliton​. I came across a post several weeks ago that mentioned how to do what I am asking about but I cannot find it. I did it myself several times but cannot recall the command to release the brush.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sanpanza  wrote

I did it myself several times but cannot recall the command to release the brush.

It sounds like we are not understanding you.  What are you trying to get to after 'releasing the brush' as you describe it?  What state? What tool?

Are you, perhaps, looking to temporarily switch to another tool with one of the spring loaded shortcuts?

The is no command to 'release the brush'.  There are several commands to switch to other tools like 'M' which would switch you to the Marquee tools, or 'V' which is the Move tool.  Do you understand what I am getting at? 

I wonder if you are thinking of Adobe Illustrator where 'V' switches to the Select tool, which is sort of like a default tool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Trevor.Dennis​, apologies for my lack of clarity.

When I click on a brush preset (say one of Kyles Brushes for example) , it oftentimes comes with a pre-defined mixer brush or normal brush. I understand that is the nature of a brush preset. However, I have had occasion to want to use another brush instead of what is on the brush preset and, rather than creating a new preset, I would prefer just to, TEMPORARILY, use another brush.

Here is a screen shot of Photoshop brush presets on a LightRoom : Photo Editor | Online Photoshop Lightroom . I had a command that I could use to click on another brush instead and use it temporarily. I cannot remember it. The link is a Lightroom Gallery only and I am not confusing Lightroom with Photoshop.

Do I make any sense. I may not have the right vernacular to describe what I am asking. I am a photographer only recently started using brushes to do art.

Ed Carreon

Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2018 Mar 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sanpanza  wrote

Thanks Trevor.Dennis , apologies for my lack of clarity.

When I click on a brush preset (say one of Kyles Brushes for example) , it oftentimes comes with a pre-defined mixer brush or normal brush. I understand that is the nature of a brush preset. However, I have had occasion to want to use another brush instead of what is on the brush preset and, rather than creating a new preset, I would prefer just to, TEMPORARILY, use another brush.

Ed Carreon

Photographer

You need to adopt a different view set with brush presets now, because as you have found, it has all changed.  You have not lost anything.  All your old presets are there, plus heaps more from Kyle Webster.  It's just that some of the new presets are NOT FOR THE BRUSH TOOL.  They were designed specifically with the designated tools in mind.

If you absolutely want to use one of those presets with another tool, then simply  click on the New Preset icon at the top right of the right click brush panel.  You can see that the selected tool is for the eraser.

So when the new preset window opens make sure that Include Tool Settings​ is not checked, as below.  Give it a name that you can remember, and you now have a different version of the same preset that you can use with any tool.  If you had watched the video I included in post #3, all that and much more, would have been explained to you.  It isn't Rocket Science.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 19, 2018 Mar 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Trevor.Dennis,

What you stated above is understood by me. I got it but brings me back to my original question of "What is the command set to release the INTENDED tool from a preset, so I can TEMPORARILY change the tool?", without creating a new preset.

I underand everything you have said but I am finding it difficult to make myself understood. Sigh......

Thanks for your time and attention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines