• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Not able to change keyboard shortcut for "horizontal align right"

New Here ,
Mar 19, 2018 Mar 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can change the shortcut for "horizontal align left" but not "right" Capture.PNG

When I try to make a shortcut to "alt + r" it just pretends I didn't change anything and there is nothing in the "current shortcuts".

I was able to do "alt + l" for left...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try restoring your InDesign preferences:

Trash, Replace, Reset, or Restore the application Preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW. In some earlier versions (must be CS3, or CS5? couldn't recall now) there were problems assigning such kind of shortcuts. A workaround was:

1. Enter Ctrl+Alt+R

2. In a box, select Ctrl+ as text, then from right-click menu select Delete

3. Now you have Alt+R, hit Assign button. Done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That reproduces here; no way to set Alt+R, directly or via workaround.

Just speculating, but Alt+R does seem to be a near-universally-hardwired shortcut for ®, (the circle-R registered trademark symbol), so it may just be altogether unavailable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John:

Alt/Opt R does add the ® symbol when the Type tool is active, but ArtSuite2018​ is defining an object-level command. It works as expected on my Mac (Sierra, CC 2018).

~Barb

Screenshot 2018-03-19 14.27.56.png

Before Opt+R on my Mac:

Screenshot 2018-03-19 14.31.22.png

And after:

Screenshot 2018-03-19 14.31.29.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Barb. That's why I suggested that the poster try restoring their preferences. That's one of the things which can be screwed up when preferences "go south."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with you, Steve—I tested it when the question was posted—and would have said the same thing—but you had already taken care of it.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

John+Mensinger  wrote

no way to set Alt+R, directly or via workaround.

Very interesting. It must be the case of OS and ID version. Pity OP didn't specify it.

Or your prefs are corrupted, too?

Here on Win7/CS6 no problem to set shortcut as Alt+ or Ctrl+Alt+ and use workaround (but it's not needed as direct Alt+ works. It didn't in CS3, I think).

BTW, in my customized KB shortcut set I use Alt+R in Default Context exactly as OP wants: for Horizontal Align Right. Many years already.

In Text Mode, yes, Alt+R inserts Registered Trademark Symbol by default. Wouldn't call it 'near-universally-hardwired' shortcut, though. It is specified in a Shortcut Set just like others, and is easily changeable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines