• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

MBP Fan running even for scrolling through the film strip

New Here ,
Feb 08, 2018 Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, I'm looking for any solution and/or response from Adobe (or anyone), as it seems others have the same issue and have gone without any productive responses. I'll start with my specs and lead into the issue.

15" Macbook Pro Retina, Mid-2015

2.8 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GM 1600 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB, Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

1 TB SSD

MacOS High Sierra 10.13.3 (The problem I'm referring to happened before I upgraded the OS)

The problem started a few weeks ago. My fan will kick on just looking at images, I don't even need to be editing for this to occur. Lightroom will spike to 500-600% cpu usage. My fan used to run with exporting images and that was it, not even using brushes or other tools! I'll export anywhere from 20-500 images at a time, so I would expect the fan to run during that kind of CPU usage. I've tried turning off Adobe Creative Cloud and the result is unchanged. As of last night I'm using the January 2018 update for Lightroom Classic CC and the result is still unchanged.

I ran a Diagnostic test and only came up with the typical battery code. Nothing else. I've reset my SMC as well.

I've noticed that the bottom of the Activity Monitor, it shows at times up to 60% of the CPU is idle (while the fan is running). Not sure if this was true prior to the issue, but I think its worth noting. Obviously, Apple software is able to access more than 3rd party software, however it seems high to me. Is Adobe poorly utilizing the CPU available? If I can't find a solution, I'm willing to jump ship to CaptureOne. However, I really don't want to, I love my workflow in Lightroom. Adobe software has always made sense to me and I'm a closet fanboy.

I've used Lightroom for years and have never had this issue. I'm also amazed that Premiere is running 10 fold better than Lightroom. It doesn't make sense to me that Lightroom would cause poorer performance than Premiere.

Does anyone, and I mean anyone(!), have a solution for this issue? For now I'll work on my iMac, however, this has crushed my mobility that I've loved so much over the years!

Failed attempts...

- Reseting SMC

- OS update

- Lightroom uninstall/reinstall

- Turning off Adobe Creative Cloud

- Diagnostic test

- Updating Lightroom

- Graphics Performance on/off

- Verifying Lightroom sync, address lookup, face detection are off.

Constants...

File type/size

Editing workflow

Importing/exporting process

Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 11.02.06 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Thanks for the system info joeye53368690.

It is natural for the CPU fans to cool down the processor, however if Lightroom is the only app with high CPU usage resulting the fna to run continuously, we might be able to troubleshoot it.

Since you have already gone through most of the troubleshooting steps, I've couple more suggestions to test whether the issue is related to Lightroom catalog or the user account you're working on.

1. Create a new catalog in Lightroom. How to create and manage catalogs in Photoshop Lightroom Classic CC

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When was the last time you cleaned the dust out of the air vent slots on your MBP.

Since it is a 2015 model I suspect the air vents, fan and CPU/GPU heat sink fins are clogged with dust

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't tried that. I will give that a try.  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2018 Mar 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump

So, I took it to Apple and the computer checks out on every test. They opened it up and said it was spotless inside. I still have the same problem. This is terrible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 19, 2018 Mar 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi joeye53368690,

We're sorry about the hassle. That's definitely not what should be happening, let us help make this right. Let's begin with diagnosing the Lightroom app contents, please post your Lightroom>>System info report here and we'll look into it.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Akash, Thank you. Here is my system info. For this particular project I tried doing 1:1 previews at 1440 and still no change in fan results. Its like if I go straight into editing after opening the software the fan will kick on and never come back down. If I stop editing, it will eventually turn off, but as soon as I get an image or two in its back on. I'm really disappointed and confused.

I should add that performance seems unaffected. Still operates relatively great.

Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 4.05.17 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

joeye53368690  wrote

Akash, Thank you. Here is my system info. For this particular project I tried doing 1:1 previews at 1440 and still no change in fan results. Its like if I go straight into editing after opening the software the fan will kick on and never come back down. If I stop editing, it will eventually turn off, but as soon as I get an image or two in its back on. I'm really disappointed and confused.

I should add that performance seems unaffected. Still operates relatively great.

Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 4.05.17 PM.png

Please Copy and Paste the TEXT from that Sys info window to a reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic version: 7.2 [ 1156743 ]

License: Creative Cloud

Language setting: en-US

Operating system: Mac OS 10

Version: 10.13.3 [17D47]

Application architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 8

Processor speed: 2.8 GHz

Built-in memory: 16,384.0 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 16,384.0 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 5,136.7 MB (31.3%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 13,645.2 MB

Memory cache size: 882.3MB

Internal Camera Raw revision: 894

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5

Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2

Camera Raw virtual memory: 1861MB / 8191MB (22%)

Camera Raw real memory: 4598MB / 16384MB (28%)

Displays: 1) 2880x1800

Graphics Processor Info:

Metal: AMD Radeon R9 M370X

Application folder: /Applications/Adobe Lightroom Classic CC

Library Path: /Volumes/Millennium Falcon/Lightroom Catalogs/Lightroom Catalog-Master.lrcat

Settings Folder: /Users/JoeyElston/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom

Installed Plugins:

1) AdobeStock

2) Aperture/iPhoto Importer Plug-in

3) Canon Tether Plugin

4) Facebook

5) Flickr

6) Nikon Tether Plugin

7) SmugMug

Config.lua flags: None

AudioDeviceIOBlockSize: 512

AudioDeviceName: Built-in Output

AudioDeviceNumberOfChannels: 2

AudioDeviceSampleRate: 48000

Build: 10.0x7

CoreImage: true

GL_ACCUM_ALPHA_BITS: 0

GL_ACCUM_BLUE_BITS: 0

GL_ACCUM_GREEN_BITS: 0

GL_ACCUM_RED_BITS: 0

GL_ALPHA_BITS: 8

GL_BLUE_BITS: 8

GL_DEPTH_BITS: 24

GL_GREEN_BITS: 8

GL_MAX_3D_TEXTURE_SIZE: 16384

GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE: 16384

GL_MAX_TEXTURE_UNITS: 8

GL_MAX_VIEWPORT_DIMS: 16384,16384

GL_RED_BITS: 8

GL_RENDERER: AMD Radeon R9 M370X OpenGL Engine

GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION: 1.20

GL_STENCIL_BITS: 8

GL_VENDOR: ATI Technologies Inc.

GL_VERSION: 2.1 ATI-1.60.26

OGLEnabled: true

GL_EXTENSIONS: GL_ARB_color_buffer_float GL_ARB_depth_buffer_float GL_ARB_depth_clamp GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_draw_buffers GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex GL_ARB_draw_instanced GL_ARB_fragment_program GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow GL_ARB_fragment_shader GL_ARB_framebuffer_object GL_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB GL_ARB_half_float_pixel GL_ARB_half_float_vertex GL_ARB_imaging GL_ARB_instanced_arrays GL_ARB_multisample GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_occlusion_query GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_point_sprite GL_ARB_provoking_vertex GL_ARB_seamless_cube_map GL_ARB_shader_objects GL_ARB_shader_texture_lod GL_ARB_shading_language_100 GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_shadow_ambient GL_ARB_sync GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_ARB_texture_compression_rgtc GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_float GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two GL_ARB_texture_rectangle GL_ARB_texture_rg GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_vertex_array_bgra GL_ARB_vertex_blend GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_vertex_shader GL_ARB_window_pos GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_bindable_uniform GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint GL_EXT_debug_label GL_EXT_debug_marker GL_EXT_depth_bounds_test GL_EXT_draw_buffers2 GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample GL_EXT_framebuffer_object GL_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB GL_EXT_geometry_shader4 GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters GL_EXT_gpu_shader4 GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil GL_EXT_packed_float GL_EXT_provoking_vertex GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_stencil_two_side GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_texture_array GL_EXT_texture_compression_dxt1 GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_integer GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp GL_EXT_texture_rectangle GL_EXT_texture_shared_exponent GL_EXT_texture_sRGB GL_EXT_texture_sRGB_decode GL_EXT_timer_query GL_EXT_transform_feedback GL_EXT_vertex_array_bgra GL_APPLE_aux_depth_stencil GL_APPLE_client_storage GL_APPLE_element_array GL_APPLE_fence GL_APPLE_float_pixels GL_APPLE_flush_buffer_range GL_APPLE_flush_render GL_APPLE_object_purgeable GL_APPLE_packed_pixels GL_APPLE_pixel_buffer GL_APPLE_rgb_422 GL_APPLE_row_bytes GL_APPLE_specular_vector GL_APPLE_texture_range GL_APPLE_transform_hint GL_APPLE_vertex_array_object GL_APPLE_vertex_array_range GL_APPLE_vertex_point_size GL_APPLE_vertex_program_evaluators GL_APPLE_ycbcr_422 GL_ATI_blend_equation_separate GL_ATI_blend_weighted_minmax GL_ATI_separate_stencil GL_ATI_texture_compression_3dc GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3 GL_ATI_texture_float GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip GL_NV_blend_square GL_NV_conditional_render GL_NV_depth_clamp GL_NV_fog_distance GL_NV_light_max_exponent GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_NV_texture_barrier GL_SGI_color_matrix GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp GL_SGIS_texture_lod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the system info joeye53368690.

It is natural for the CPU fans to cool down the processor, however if Lightroom is the only app with high CPU usage resulting the fna to run continuously, we might be able to troubleshoot it.

Since you have already gone through most of the troubleshooting steps, I've couple more suggestions to test whether the issue is related to Lightroom catalog or the user account you're working on.

1. Create a new catalog in Lightroom. How to create and manage catalogs in Photoshop Lightroom Classic CC
  • import a small batch of images and monitor Lightroom's memory usage in the Activity monitor, see
  • discard building smart previews or 1:1 previews, leave the face detection set to off. Does your MBP still behave the same?

2. Enable the root user account on your MBP and check if the issue persists. See How to enable the root user on your Mac or change your root password - Apple Support

• Isolate: run only Lightroom in the foreground to prevent it conflicting with other apps.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, could you please check the version of AMD Radeon Software installed on your computer, see for reference: How to Find the Driver Version and Check for Updates Using AMD Radeon Settings

~Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2018 Nov 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After 8 months of fighting Lightroom, I'm here again looking for support. All troubleshooting that has been suggested above yields no results. I've uninstalled Lightroom Classic via Adobe Cloud and reinstalled it with no results. There seems to be no good explanation to the problem online. Doing a Google search shows me that I'm not alone in this issue. Lightroom CC doesn't have the same issue as Classic. Please, let me know how to resolve this issue. I also have another newer MBP with the exact problem.

Thank you

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

High Sierra 10.13.3

Processor

2.8 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics

AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB

Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

Lightroom System Info

Lightroom Classic version: 8.0 [ 1193777 ]

License: Creative Cloud

Language setting: en-US

Operating system: Mac OS 10

Version: 10.13.3 [17D47]

Application architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 8

Processor speed: 2.8 GHz

Built-in memory: 16,384.0 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 16,384.0 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 3,776.0 MB (23.0%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 5,455.0 MB

Memory cache size: 1,142.8MB

Internal Camera Raw revision: 61

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5

Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2

Camera Raw virtual memory: 1603MB / 8191MB (19%)

Camera Raw real memory: 1629MB / 16384MB (9%)

Displays: 1) 2880x1800

Graphics Processor Info:

Metal: AMD Radeon R9 M370X

Application folder: /Applications/Adobe Lightroom Classic CC

Library Path: /Volumes/Star Destroyer/Allie and Joey/Lightroom Catalog/Late 2018+/Late 2018+.lrcat

Settings Folder: /Users/JoeyElston/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom

Installed Plugins:

1) AdobeStock

2) Aperture/iPhoto Importer Plug-in

3) Canon Tether Plugin

4) Facebook

5) Flickr

6) Nikon Tether Plugin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 25, 2018 Nov 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The CPU utilization shown in the screen recording is by design.  It varies from 50% to 200% as you open photos in Develop and move sliders, sometimes spiking to 400%; utilization drops to under 5% when LR is idle. Your computer has 8 logical processors (4 cores), and 100% = one processor, so 200% means LR is using the equivalent of 2 of the 8 processors.

I have the same MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) and observe roughly the same CPU utilization.   And my fans are usually running when I use LR.

Over the years, the most frequent complaint about LR (after the unfixed bugs) was that it was too slow.  So in LR 7 and 8, Adobe has worked hard to have LR use as much of the CPU and graphics processor as they can. That consumes a lot more power, which generates a lot more heat, which requires fans to dissipate. Laptops especially need to run the fans continually when the processor is used heavily, given the tight packaging of the processor in a thin case.  That is all by design (Adobe's and Apple's).

Note that the AMD graphics processor uses a maximum of 100 W, while the Intel processor uses a maximum of 95 W, and the GPU is used only while in Develop, not in Library.  Older versions of LR didn't use multiple processors very effectively and didn't use the GPU, so LR 8's power consumption in Develop is going to be double or more that of older versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2018 Nov 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, your comment is helpful. I'm thankful for the back end knowledge you shared. However, it doesn't explain how I can sit next to a guy who is working a similar workflow (weddings, CR2 files) as me with less cpu and not have the same amount of cpu usage. I also have the same issue on my imac with even greater amount of cpu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update OS X to 10.13.6   and test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, for the suggestion. I did update per your request and haven't seen an improvement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your camera raw cache set at (Preferences->Performance)? Make sure to purge it as well as the video cache and set it (at a bare minimum) to 5 GB. Any antivirus software running?

If scrolling through images in the filmstrip or in Library makes the fans spin, it is usually a bad preview cache issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The screen recording shows him selecting photos from the filmstrip while in Develop. It's normal for a Macbook Pro (Retina, Mid-2015) to use 50 - 200% CPU (spiking to 400%) while opening photos in Develop and then adjusting sliders.  And it's normal for that Macbook Pro to run the fans when CPU utilization is constantly above 100% and often higher.

One thing I also noticed in the screen recording is that the thumbnails all show the embedded-previews icon. So when one of those photos is loaded into Develop, it's also building a standard-sized preview, which takes a little bit extra time.  But even with standard-sized previews prebuilt, the Macbook Pro is going to use about the same CPU as shown in the recording.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah yeah I didn't watch the video but if the previews were embedded and if you are adjusting sliders those CPU numbers are completely expected and definitely if the machine is generating new previews in the background are you going to get this sort of stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2018 Dec 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have the same problem with the same specs. Did you found any help for the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 04, 2018 Dec 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This really isn't an issue. The fans are designed to run and Lightroom is much better at using multiple processors as available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2018 Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just got a MBP used from my company, with the very same specs and I am experiencing the same issue.

But I've never heard fans spinning before with my older 13" MBP Late 2013 (lesser specs of course.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines