New Here ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Equipment:

Synology NAS 1815+

Mac Pro 12 core with 48GB of memory

Macbook Pro 2017

My main photo computer is my desktop Mac Pro with the Lightroom catalog on the computer SSD drive.  My photos are all on my Synology NAS drive with backups all over. 

I have a error that I have not ever had utilizing my computers before.  My usual workflow is to take photos on the road download to my laptop hard drive, cull the photos and create a new catalog with all the changes and edits to include keywording.  Then when I return home download the folder with the photos, edits, and the lightroom catalog and transfer it to my Synology NAS.  I then go to my lightroom on the MacPro and open my main catalog and request a import from another catalog which is the photos that I have just transferred onto my NAS.  It used to work just fine and then with the latest update I get the following error:

Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 1.00.57 PM.png

If I try to just load the catalog directly I get the following Error:

Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 1.01.43 PM.png

This has never happened before.   In my workflow it's important for me to be able to edit the photos on the road and then be able to reinsert them into the main catalog. 

Anyone have an idea why i'm getting these errors or how to fix them?

Thank you,

Neville

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps you could copy the catalog file to the local drive (SSD or local hard disk) and try importing it from there.

Alternative explanation: you have some network malfunction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I did that than it would require me to find photos since the link would be broken between the catalog and the NAS.  I'm not sure if it is a setting that has been changed or if the software has been changed but it should allow me to read the catalog from the NAS to import.

NEville

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ng1111@mac.com  wrote

If I did that than it would require me to find photos since the link would be broken between the catalog and the NAS.

I'm pretty sure this is not correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DJ, the idea worked for placing the catalog on a local hard drive.  But once the catalog was loaded and i clicked on the photo here is the error that I got:

Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 1.37.41 PM.png

I'm sure it's in my settings somewhere why would it work before and not now.  Hopefully someone from Adobe can enlighten me on what I'm doing wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click on the Locate button and then find this exact photo and select it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the catalog has to be on a drive physically connected to the computer you are using. Not across your network on the NAS.

Also there are many reports if you are using the Apple network protocol, AFP, LR doesn;t like that and you should change it to SMB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any chance there was a power outage while you were away? Have you tried to reboot your NAS? Quit Lr > reboot your NAS and your computer > reconnect to NAS > Open Lr

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I turned off the NAS, rebooted the computer, turned off AFP, turned off SMB independently and nothing worked.  I just cannot understand how it worked for such a long time and now it does not.  I'm sure it's a setting either in the NAS or on the software.  Having to download to the desktop and then finding the folder is just a pain especially since I'm so backlogged with photos right now.

Thanks Neville

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So to clarify... you can import images into Lr from other locations - just not from the NAS?

And you can copy files to the NAS without any problems?

The problem occurs when you are trying to Import from Another Catalog?

What happens if you create a brand new catalog - just to test? Same error?

What happens if you try to import images located in a folder on the NAS - just a test?

Is it possible that the catalog that you are trying to import has the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sounds like you are describing the acknowledged bug with Classic CC that was reported here:

Lightroom Classic CC: Import from external catalog over LAN not possible | Photoshop Family Customer...

-bh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines