• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

create for every RAW a sidecar JPG file not visible in LR, but visible in Windows explorer (after already imported files)

New Here ,
Mar 19, 2018 Mar 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi,

I'm ordering my LR catalogue .

In my  LR catalogue I import pics taken from any devices: DSLR, ML, smartphone, ....

At the beginning I  shooted shooted just in JPG (damn me!), then I started to I shoot in RAW+JPG

imported them in "pairs" way in LR with only the Raw file visible (in other words I imported them like NO separate files, so I untick the "Treat JPEGS as a Separate file", and LR imported the JPEGs as a Sidecar and so JPGs are no longer accessible in LR), and in the last 4 years I shoot only in RAW.

Well, so in my catalogue there're a lot of formats of pics.

I'd like to:

1) files imported only in JPG: keep JPGs of files that hasn't RAW associated (obviously),

2) files imported in RAW+JPG: 2 ideas:

a) starting from elaborated RAWs, export relative JPGs, overwriting in this way the on camera JPG I imported like NO separate files. I'd preefer this way

b) deleting from LR the associated JPG created by camera, but imported like NO separate files: how could I do?

3) files imported in RAW: if in point 2) I used a) solution, I just export JPGs; else nothing, I take just RAW.

Now, I'd like to do the point 2) a) but when I export JPGs form RAWs I'd like that LR associate them in the same way of when I import JPG+RAW from camera (like NO separate files, like untick the "Treat JPEGS asa Separate file", so that LR import JPEGs as a Sidecar and so JPGs are no longer accessible in LR). Is it possible? I don't want to create stack between JPG and _RAW because I want to see them just 1 time in LR, and I don't want to add a copy for every pics into the LR catalogue.

Could be a way or a script that do this?

I found a script for LR that does exactly what i was looking for in Bridge: -> RAW + JPG Stack:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/738964

a similar thing could be ok?

I'd like to have for every RAW a sidecar JPG file not visible in LR, but visible in Windows explorer; I save RAW+JPG+XMP all in the same folder.

Thanks to everyone for help me please!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could use the Any Filter plugin to find all catalog photos that don't have an associated .jpg in the same folder.

Then you could use File > Export to export JPEGs for each such photo to the same folder as the photo.

Finally, do Library > Synchronize Folder to cause the newly created JPEGs to be associated with their raws as sidecars, just as if you had newly imported the raws.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wonderful! So u Say that if I do Synchronize Folder After create jpgs, LR associated new jpgs with their original raws as sidecars, just as if I import the raws+jpgs from camera? Amy precaution about use of Synchronize folder?I'll do il in massive Say (over 7000 files...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if I do Synchronize Folder After create jpgs, LR associated new jpgs with their original raws as sidecars, just as if I import the raws+jpgs from camera?

That's right. Synchronize Folder obeys the current setting of Treat JPEG Files Next To Raw Files As Separate Photos and updates the catalog accordingly.

Any precaution about use of Synchronize folder?I'll do il in massive Say (over 7000 files...)

Synchronize will import any other files in those folders, so if you don't want those photos imported, you'll have to move them out of the folders.

As with any massive catalog change, first test it out with a couple test photos. And make sure you have working backups of both your catalog and your photos before you start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for the answer.few question:

- in my actual catalogue there are also jpg sidecar of raw obtained by camera. Then I developed raw but I didn't updated jpg. So could I don't use any filter plugin and export from raw modified the new jpg overwriting old jpg and then synchroniz the folder?

-in the same folder I have just raw+jpg or just raw or just jpg(eg of smartphone without raw): am I ok or have I to be in worry of something?

- then you told to use syncronize folder: have I to select each file or it will syncronuize automathic all folder?

- if I have folder and sub folder, can I lunch the command from the top folder and it will be valid for all folder? Or could I have any problem of synchro-errours- bad folders syncro?

-what do u think about my ideas of order into my catalogue? Could it be ok, or eg u prefer do it in a different way? How? Do u every time export jpg after raw develop? Which quality, 80 or 85?

Thanks a a lot for everything let me know as soon as u can!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- in my actual catalogue there are also jpg sidecar of raw obtained by camera. Then I developed raw but I didn't updated jpg. So could I don't use any filter plugin and export from raw modified the new jpg overwriting old jpg and then synchroniz the folder?

Yes, if you want to overwrite any existing JPEGs from your camera, you could just select all the raws and export the JPEGs to the same folder.  You'll need to synchronize the folder if some of the raws didn't previously have JPEGs.

-in the same folder I have just raw+jpg or just raw or just jpg(eg of smartphone without raw): am I ok or have I to be in worry of something?

Nothing to worry about in this case.  The smartphone JPEGs will be left untouched.

- if I have folder and sub folder, can I launch the command from the top folder and it will be valid for all folder?

Yes, when you synchronize a folder, it will synchronize all the subfolders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

johnrellis  ha scritto

Yes, if you want to overwrite any existing JPEGs from your camera, you could just select all the raws and export the JPEGs to the same folder.  You'll need to synchronize the folder if some of the raws didn't previously have JPEGs.

-ok. So If I select all my RAWs (with and without JPGs sidecar) and export JPGs, LR will ask me to overwrite exist JPGs, right?

-Why you tell me " You'll need to synchronize the folder if some of the raws didn't previously have JPEGs." ?

I have to synchronize folder because now ALL RAWs aren't associated with new JPGs, right?

-When I export JPGs have I select flag in "add to catalog?" I don't think so, because else I have2 identical files, in JPG & RAW, right? I'll export in the same folder, right? any other flags to select/deselect when I export JPG or synchronize? Any advisement?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And another question: for general purpose you advice me to export JPG in quality 80 or 85%? (it's equivalent to quality 10 or 11% in PS)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines