• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC can't save file as PDF due to disk error

Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2017 Sep 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I have searched for an answer to this, but been unsuccessful.

I am using Photoshop CC 2017. When I try to save a file as a Photoshop PDF (File>Save As), the response I get is as follows:

Could not save as “FileName.pdf” because of a disk error.

Note: It says DISK error, not program error. I've seen plenty of posts regarding program errors and have tried those solutions in hopes it will help, but has not.

This is a NEW error. I have been saving files as PDFs with no issue until two weeks ago. I cannot remember if I have saved files as PDFs since upgrading to Photoshop CC 2017... prior to this, I was using Photoshop CC 2015.5

I have done the following to try to solve this issue without success:

1. Try different files

2. Try saving TO different locations (hard drive, desktop, external hard drive)

3. Try saving files FROM different locations

4. Ensure there's plenty of room on computer (145 GB avail) & external hard drive (2.85 TB avail)

5. Preferences > File Handling > Deselect "Save in Background"

6. Re-starting Photoshop CC 2017

7. Re-starting the computer (MacBook running OS Sierra 10.12.6)

8. Upon re-starting Photoshop, select Cmd-Option-Shift

9. Search for font errors - one identified and deleted

10. Ensure programs are all up-to-date

What am I missing? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks, in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 02, 2017 Oct 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi  heleng,

Yes, you have almost tried everything to fix this issue. Please create another user account with the admin rights and check the Photoshop there.

8. Upon re-starting Photoshop, select Cmd-Option-Shift

When you tried resetting the Photoshop preferences were you able to do it properly.

Refer: Preferences in Photoshop

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2018 Mar 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It did not work. And now after updating to 2018, I had to delete the preferences file and re-open Photoshop CC2018 to get it to work properly with Lightroom CC. I still cannot save a PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi heleng,

Thanks for getting back to us. Could you please post a screenshot of error which you are getting while saving the files as PDF?

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 10.58.25 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Helen—thanks for the info and also for the screenshot of the error dialog.

Do you have another drive you can save to?

Also, are you working on files that are on a local network?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2018 Apr 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't seem to matter what drive my images are on. I generally save them to external drives - have tried many different external drives and am getting the same error. I also uninstalled and reinstalled Photoshop with no luck. It won't even allow me to open PDFs with Photoshop. Did the repair disk as meastwood​ suggested, repaired - there did seem to be an issue - but still no luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a quick question to eliminate a potential problem, if you don't mind?

When you're saving the file as a Photoshop PDF, is it to replace an existing PDF file that is open somewhere else?

PDF's use quite a variety of system resources (that's what makes them so capable) and if you have a PDF open (even in a different application) and try to create a new PDF with the same name, you will get this error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tony - no, I'm not replacing existing PDFs. I've tried with a number of different files and file types. I've tried just "save as", as well as save as a copy. Nothing seems to be working. So strange that it was working fine for years before this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is everything else working ok with your computer?

Just a thought: could be something wrong with your hard disk?

Maybe try running verify/repair permissions...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just found this: (IOS solution)

On a Mac, go to Launchpad. Then click Photoshop. Immediately after launching the application, press command, option and shift. A small dialogue box will appear, asking to delete settings. Click yes. After this, it should be possible to save as PDF again (it worked for me). ) (cc thomasf32295561)

Worked for me! PS CC 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2018 Apr 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but that was the first thing I tried and it didn't work 😕

UPDATE!

I don't know if it was sheer stubbornness or exasperation, but I decided to give that one more shot and... it finally worked!! I must have done that about 3 times previously without any success. This time, however, I went into preferences beforehand and added one of my external drives as a scratch disk. Then I restarted and did cmd/opt/shift, delete the settings and voila! I can open and save PDFs again. I went back into my preferences and noticed that the external drive I added as a scratch disk is no longer selected. Whatever it was that did it, I'm thankful it works again.

Appreciate everyone's help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked for me too!
Tnx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2018 Jun 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tnx! Worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2020 Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! How do I do this. I use a windows not a mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! How do I do this? I use a windows PC not a mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Solved it already. The problem was with the file and not Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines