• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New to Lightroom 6 - Importing RAW for 1st time

New Here ,
Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I changed my camera settings to RAW + JPEG and took some pictures to experiment with. (I've only worked with JPEG before).

I imported the two pictures and one shows up as NEF, the other as JPEG.  Is this correct?  I read that is Nikon's description.

Secondly, is there a setting in Lightroom for me to edit both pictures and then see the changes of those two pictures side by side?  I've only worked with one photo and cycled between before and after.  I'd like to learn, and see the differences when editing RAW vs. JPEG.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Edit the photos, then in the Library Module select both photos and press C to compare them side by side.

or if you have two monitors, select one and press F11 to create a secondary window, then you can view that photo in the secondary window while you edit another photo

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Lightroom preferences, General tab, There is an option to treat JPEG images next to raw images as separate images. If you check that option then Lightroom will import both the raw and JPEG image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I already did that, but the RAW is showing up as NEF.  I just wanted to be sure that NEF is the same as RAW?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"raw" is a description, as in the word "raw" meaning uncooked. 🙂

Raw files come in many file extensions: NEF, CR2, DNG, ... depending on the camera maker.

People often get confused since the word "raw" often is incorrectly capitalized.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2018 Mar 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for explaining that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit the photos, then in the Library Module select both photos and press C to compare them side by side.

or if you have two monitors, select one and press F11 to create a secondary window, then you can view that photo in the secondary window while you edit another photo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines