Exit

Can't get a illustrator file to work in ae

New Here ,
Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear reader,
I've been trying all day and night (literally) to try the following problem:

I want to import a Ai file into after effects (which in the past, even yesterday, has worked out fine) but in any possible way I can import it, it always shows up as a black background, or no background at all (just the grey of the composition window). I have tried about every setting there is to import the file, I've copied the drawings in ai into a different ai file and saved it, I even tried making the file compatible for lower versions of ai, but none have worked so far. I also tried moving it from my external disk to my pc.

This is what I get when I open the comp;

I'm, pretty sure the problem is in the file but I can't even begin to imagine what the problem could be, so please help me guys.
For reference, this is the Ai file I'm trying to import (it has 7 layers.)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Tried this?

Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,
Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried this?

Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2018 Mar 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, In the picture it doesn’t show they are checked, but a sec before posting the pic they were. I unchecked them to see if one layer was blocking the view of the rest (which wasn’t the case)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mmhhh no idea mate sorry...

In Illustrator if you go in File > Document Color Mode is it RGB or CMYK?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ve tried both...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you send us the AI file by any chance?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No matter what, you should leave your document mode in RGB.

That aside, what happens when you double-click one of the layers to open it in the Layers palette? It looks like you already did that with Layer 6, but that would be helpful info to know.

How did you make the comp? Is that the one that was create when you imported the file, or did you copy the layers to a new comp with different dimensions?

Two more things to test:

1) What happens if you right-click a layer and go to "Edit>Edit Original"?

2) What happens if you right-click any of the layers and choose "Convert Shapes from Vector Layer"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of your layers are turned off. Make sure that you can preview the layers in the Project Panel by selecting them in the folder and checking the thumbnail.

This looks like user error to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It could still be user error, but the OP said in a reply above that the screenshot was taken after they temporarily shut off the layers' visibility, but that the problem was occuring before then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines