Exit

[InDesign] Drop shadow with pixels…

New Here ,
Mar 22, 2018 Mar 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everybody,

First of all, here is my configuration:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)

Processor 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5

macOS High Sierra 10.13.3
And I'm using the latest InDesign version CC2018.

I had no real issue (except the big incompatibility between latest macOS and Adobe, but that's another story) until this one.
When using the drop shadow effect (on object or on text), I get huge pixels on screen (see screenshot).

Capture d’écran 2018-03-22 à 14.26.40.png

These pixels have no relation with my export settings as I could read across the internet.
Because they are already present while working on InDesign, they're on my exported PDF as well, and on printed paper.

Is there any solution? I really don't get how to resolve this issue (why not using vectors instead?)

Many thanks,
Nicholas

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What PDF export settings are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nicholas,

I guess the impact of the "pixels" you are seeing is very small when it comes to PDF export and offset printing.

You could try to change the values of resolution with the used transparency reduction setting when exporting to PDF/X-1a or PDF/X-4*. But I guess that's a mute point. You will only do this to satisfy an automatic preflight that is ejecting false positives for errors around image resolution with the printing company.

* Yes, transparency reduction settings of the spread or the document can make a difference even when exporting to PDF/X-4!

Here an example where I prepared a PDF/X-4 export preset with a transparency reduction set for rendering special effects like drop shadows to 600 ppi  ( I hope, you get the settings despite my German version 😞

DropShadow-Resolution-1.png

Here in my export preset the settings for transparency reduction are grayed out. You will change that temporarily by changing the PDF/X standard from X-4 to X-1a, changing the settings and switch the standard back to X-4:

DropShadow-Resolution-2.png

The impact on this can be seen in Acrobat Pro's preflight:

DropShadow-Resolution-4.png

DropShadow-Resolution-5.png

So in effect the drop shadow now has a resolution of 600 ppi.

But to be honest, even a resolution of 150 ppi will print fine in this case.

As I said, this is just done to satisfy a dump automatic preflight with the printing company that will alert images below effective 250 ppi maybe…

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign doesn't show a shadow effect at full export resolution. Here's ID on the left and PDF/X-4 on the right both zoomed to 1200%

Screen Shot 15.png

why not using vectors instead?

It looks like your drop shadow's Size and Spread are set to 0 (there's no blur), so in this case you could make a "vector shadow" by duplicating and offsetting the text

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines