• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Beginner with Adobe Premiere Pro CC, introduction and the start of some questions

Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I purchased Adobe Premiere Elements 2018, and encounter problems with the software running.

There were many pointed fingers as to the cause, machine not big enough, video board not right, etc. After many calls to different support groups (Adobe, Dell Pro Support, Nvidia, a paid consultant) turns out the machine is considered a "beast", lots of HP.

Posted in the Elements forum the problems encountered and was finally contacted by Adobe again.

Their input was essentially and paraphrasing, the machine was fine, the problem was the video board was too smart for Elements, they wanted me to get Nvidia to supply a downgraded driver, which Nvidia would not do.

After Adobe looked at some of the projects I had been doing in Elements they said I should use Adobe Premiere Pro CC. It made no sense to me that I should put a more complicated piece of software on a machine that was having problems with Elements. On top of that the guy recommending the change to Pro had no experience with Pro. Any specific question asked about Pro the response was he supported Elements but could forward me to the Pro Support team. He stated that 20% of the knowledge would transfer from Elements to Pro

I agreed to try the trail version of Pro.

I would say 0% of the knowledge transfers. I spent 30 minutes try to figure out how to import files, and an hour working on how to export in what I think is the correct form for You Tube.

Navigating and finding files is not straight forward.

I am not a fan of the presentation of data in the time line in particular the separation of the video from the audio with the video 2 being on top of video 1 and the audio for video 2 being under the audio for video 1.

After playing around for 4-5 hours I have not had one glitch in the software operation and would have had to reboot the Elements several times in the same time frame.

CPU usage and memory usage is less with Pro than Elements.

I have just made the yearly prepaid purchase of Pro.

Question;

I imported files from the camcorder I am using

My camcorder is set to 1080MP4 50M what ever that is, could not find fps, under AVCHD I have a choice of 60P or 60i. I am not using AVCHD but MP4/iframe which produces separate clips / not encoded clips. Those files seem to imported correctly.

In the tutorials it is stressed that you use the same data characteristics in the files imported, edited and exported.

for import I can only find 30FPS in adobe,

under the properties for the imported file I find

2018_132304.mp4

Type: MPEG Movie

File Size: 3.61 GB

Image Size: 1920 x 1080

Frame Rate: 59.94

Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - compressed - Stereo

Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo

Total Duration: 00:11:25:00

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0

VR Projection: None

How do I tel adobe that is the file properties I will be using?

If I select use source in the export it picks up the same properties.

becoming proficient in editing is next. That promises to be challenging. At lest there appear to be tutorials on the net on how to do that.

Glenn Lever

By the way, how do I get my avatar to appear. I got the message that it had been approved.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Glenn, and welcome to the forums! You've rightly surmised that Premiere Pro CC is a *vastly* different product that Premiere Elements, and the big difference is moving from amateur to professional. That might seem scary at first, but I think you'll find it to a much more flexible product that can handle almost anything, including your 11-minute camcorder video. This early in the game, I wouldn't worry too much about the specifics of your import, because you can always change your sequence settings and export settings to get the desired results. Basically, Premiere lets you throw almost ANYTHING into the editor and then create what you want to end up with on the output.

I'm glad it's working more smoothly for you, and I think you'll find that once you get used to the newer more flexible/powerful interface, you'll be able to create whatever you want. But you're right...it will take some learning, and you correctly realize that editing is something that takes time to learn to do well.

I'd recommend looking for tutorials online (which you've already done), but more important, get involved with your local Adobe User Group. We have a group here in Kansas City called KCVideoCore that just met tonight, and guess what we learned about? EDITING.

Don't get discouraged, you have a powerful and useful tool on your computer now, and I hope you take the time to learn all it can do. The people on this forum mostly lean toward professionals, but we're friendly and are here to help you get the most out of your new tool. Enjoy!

Buck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I'm willing to try, fought the elements battle for two months because of learn knowledge and I like the features. will work on this knowledge base and see if it will work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you local local support groups?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spent 30 minutes try to figure out...

I think that is the wrong approach here.  Premiere Pro is a complex piece of software meant for professionals who already have some training.  Your best option is to get that training.

Adobe Premiere Pro Learn & Support

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand it is meant for professionals, it was adobe that recommended the switch. Is adobe once again making a recommendation that is incorrect for my situation, they are not willing to do any more work to get elements working. I'm between software that will not run that I like and software that runs, but maybe to much. Just because it is meant for professionals does not mean I cannot use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oops meant to ask where do I get the training.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lynda.com is a good start:

premiere pro 2018 - Lynda

There is a free trial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have actual come across her on YouTube and gone through some of her excerpts. premiere pro 2018 - Lynda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ops meant to ask where do I get the training.

Well, the link directly under the suggestion is a good place to start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was a reply to the question, not in the first reply with the suggestion to try a local group.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it.  My mistake. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the list of user groups:

https://www.adobe.com/communities/user-groups.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of those groups are near me, they are all down state, I am in upstate New York

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where in upstate NY?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rochester, NY

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

glennl52077132  wrote

Rochester, NY

We call that western NY.

I'm near the Canadian border, about an hour northeast of Lake Placid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct, if I was to say that no one would have a clue. I just wanted to express that I was not New York City, We have cows, and lots of wine, hills and lakes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So .... here is a Pro question (should I create a separate topic for questions or will I get enough traffic if I keep all the forth coming questions in this thread. That would provide a future reference for me).

Comment, it takes a period of time to progress beyond the opening box until you get the New Project screen, after that there seems to be no delays in processing.

Watched a tutorial where the guy put all his media into a folder on the PC

He then dragged the folder down into Project center (where the media goes), I cannot drag the folder but can import the folder.

I am then confused by what a "bin" is for.

Is it just so you do not have to go to windows to select media?

Where are the Bins stored?

I generally use two cameras, and create a folder for each camera in the folder that I create for the project.

Do I create a bin for the project and then two bins with that bin in the project to hold the media clips from the two different cameras?

This is a typical storage I would create for a adobe Premiere Elements project

File storage for video project.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bins in an NLE are purely a internal program organizational tool, they don't "exist" other than the particular project's database. You group project assets in bins for clarity of working in that projectcwithin PrPro.

The media always stays wherever it physically lives on a drive.

I have seen people who set up their projects folders on disc as they want their bins to be, then import the whole thing directly through the Project panel i think.

I've not done that myself, not sure I have the process fully detailed there.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2018 Mar 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Detailed where?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can set up the storage for Premiere the same as you did for Elements.

Elements calls it a folder (created from the Project Assets) as Premiere calls it a Bin (Project window): basically the same.

These bins are stored in the project file itself not on the hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe I have a start on how to organize the media center. What is the box on the left capture settings? Should I click that? I have used bins as that seems to mean I will not have to go back an forth to windows explore to pick up files? Should I be starting new topics for these questions, would like to keep one thread for reference, if yo think this will get enough traffic for answers. These will be type of questions I will be asking. I will try to figure it out on my own, but I find it hard to find answers to this type of question.

New Bin.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Project window works the same as Project Assets window in Elements. Double click and import (alternative you can use the Media Browser)

You can set this up any way you like.

Right click on the bar were it says Name etc and click on Metadata display.

Might want to get yourself a subscription at Lynda.com and learn the basics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a new pdf file out that has a good depth on many things ...

Neil

Adobe "Reference" Manual pdf: https://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/premiere_pro_reference.pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines