• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't add a duplicate layer style in Photoshop CS6. Help!

Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2018 Mar 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm following a tutorial which says "In layer styles and click on the little plus sign next to your drop shadow. This will add a second drop shadow to your layer". See attached.

I don't have that option in CS6, so how do I do this?

Thanks!CS6

.1.PNG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add your drop shadow and click OK. From the menu bar, Layer-Layer Style-Create Layer. That will place the drop shadow on its own layer. Now add a 2nd drop shadow to the original layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change the layer (with its layer style) to a smart object. That enables you to add the same layer style again and still keeps both editable.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2018 Mar 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Thank you for your responses. I'm basically trying to do this:

http://scrapaneers.com/realistic-drop-shadows-photoshop-cc-2015/

I want to add 4 drop shadows and save it as a reusable style. Is this option not available in CS6?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it's not an option in CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The author of that tutorial doesn't seem to be aware of the contour curve option to improve the look of a single drop shadow layer effect, and then proceeds to apply 4 drop shadows, which is complete overkill. A rather convoluted inefficient method to create a better looking shadow.

A similar looking more realistic drop shadow can be achieved by simply adjusting the contour curve to a S-curve.

contour.png

If you need even more control over the look of the shadow, add an outer glow in darken mode and a dark colour.

And this works in CS6 too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2018 Mar 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Many thanks, I will try this instead!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines