• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Open captions keep disappearing from my project!

Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2018 Mar 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, while editing a long timeline today I quit, opened and came back to notice that a huge chunk of captions was missing. I had put the raw footage and sound and a caption track together on one sequence, did the captions for it, then cut little bites from that sequence and placed them on a new sequence. When I opened it back up it looked like this. Formerly those big gaps were ALL FULL.

The sequence I added the caption track to and subsequently cut bits from (Caption track is in blue):

Screen Shot 2018-03-23 at 5.06.18 PM.jpg

An overview of how much captions I lost:

Screen Shot 2018-03-23 at 5.06.09 PM.jpg

That was alarming. But okay, I thought maybe I accidentally forgot to save, deleted or wiped over them when I was adjusting a new caption.

So I painstakingly added back in all the ones that were missing, and this time I MADE A COPY of the caption track in the Project browser and labelled it 'caption backup'. Then I saved my work, then I exited. There's no way they can disappear now... right?

WRONG.

When I opened back up the project, everything I had put back in AND MORE had disappeared. I tried placing the 'caption backup' file onto the timeline, but it was still missing the exact same captions.

I checked all the Auto-Save files which were made just 10, 20 and 30 minutes before this calamity occurred, and they're all missing the same captions too.

What am I doing wrong? To be doing such time intensive and time-critical work on a platform this unstable and unreliable is just CRAZY.

EDIT: I have since tried creating a test caption, saving the project again, and sure enough, when I open it back up, it's gone.

EDIT 2: I then tried exporting the track as an .srt and checking that the new captions (which will then disappear from Premiere once I quit) are in there in TextEdit, and they are. Interestingly though, when I import that same .srt file into a new Premiere project, the captions in question will not show.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2019 Sep 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

have you succeded to solve the problem? I'm getting the same here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

julien, how did you create your captions? As the original poster, are you putting the same caption track on more than one sequence and/or cutting parts of it out?

Are you using Open Captions?

Duplicating caption streams in PR and cutting/moving caption streams can be problematic.

Describe more of your intended workflow/goal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I'm using open captions (in french it's sous-titres en clair) and I put all of them on the same sequence (using the + to add captions one after the others).Using Premiere 12.0.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2019 Sep 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Do you think it's possible to recover the lost work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines