Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 12 - The Dark Side of the Moon

Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2018 Mar 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

There were some excellent images in last week's ballroom challenge . This week I've gone for something a little different.

It is 45 years since Pink Floyd released their album The Dark Side of The Moon. Its songs explored greed, mental illness, the passage of time. The iconic album cover was created by Hipgnosis'  Storm Thorgerson, who designed many album covers with very clever manipulation of photographs, and George Hardie who created the prism artwork. The band requested a "simple and bold" design.

So the challenge this week is this. If you had been asked to come up with the cover design for The Dark Side of The Moon what would you have created?

220px-Dark_Side_of_the_Moon.png

As usual, anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes - just the chance to practice, show off, or perhaps bring a bit of humour and fun.

When posting your images please use jpeg/png and size at 1200 x 1200 pixels 

Have fun

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2018 Mar 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No takers yet ?

OK I'll start it off......

SFTW12DSOTM.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have something in mind but busy at the moment.

Pink Floyd one of my favourite bands

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome Dave ! Love the fire glow in the brain. I've just been so busy but will try to get going on this one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another something a bit weird for the weekend from me

dark side of the moon.jpg

P.S. I think I lost the plot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually I like it - very 70s

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice, Dave and Ged!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh ya that's groovn' cool Ged !! Very cool !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know Syd left the band five years before Dark Side was released, but he was still relevant to them, and sadly missed as evidenced by  SOYCD.  It's impossible not to be moved by this song if you know the background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to say that I like this weeks subject Dave, although it has taken a chunk out of my day one way or another.  Apart from knocking up my bit of artwork, the subject bought back so many memories, and I've spent a good couple of hours on Wikipedia and YouTube.

The list of covers on Storm's Wikipedia page is staggering.  There are hundreds of them, and it's a real who's who of A-List rock, but there were names there that surprised me.  Keeping it with Pink Floyd, did you know that Nick Mason produced an album?  That took me to YouTube where minutes later my ears were hurting.  King Crimson fans might remember when their early lyric writer Peter Sinfield, decided to do a solo album called Still. 

Warning: This is beyond dire, although there are some nice vocals by Greg Lake (KC's best vocalist, and later with ELP).  Blimey, somebody shoot me... it's starting to grow on me

Nick Mason's Fictitious Sports is...   emmm... different...

Getting back to album covers, art and illustration, Roger Dean is the designer I have the best memories of from back then.  His Yes covers were beautifully created, and folk like us could learn more from his work than Storm's.  Has anyone else been guilty of trying to restore contrast to a faded landscape background?  I cringe with embarrassment when I look at the depth of this image, and think how I once used to edit out such depth.  It's a million miles from anything I'll ever be able to do, but that does not stop us from being inspired, and wanting to do better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 25, 2018 Mar 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very cool Trevor ! It fits for sure !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I first heard this album, waking up on a Saturday morning in my college dorm room, my mind still foggy from sleep, experiencing this wonderful, magical sound . It was coming from another room down the hall, and I went down to find out what it was, and then went out to buy a copy.

I will never forget that moment, and Dark Side of the Moon has been my favorite album of all time.

That it stayed on Billboards top albums list for 15 years straight after it was released is a testament to its popularity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor - nice job. That kind of chunk out of a day is always well spent

Bo - I was at school when it was released and I saw the sleeve before I heard the music. There was some-one carrying an album that didn't have the name of the band or the album on it - what ???! It wasn't long though, before lot's of us had a copy. I bought most of their albums over time and IMHO their best was Wish You Were Here. I never got to see them live though.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

I never got to see them live though.

Dave

It get's to become a job to remember, but they say if you can remember those days then you were not doing it right.  I definitely saw The Wall at Earls Court, but the sound was terrible.  I saw Peter Gabriel there a few years later, and he bought the stage out into the hall which sounded way better.  There were also a load of baffles hanging from the ceiling by then.  Strangely, the open air concerts like Wembly and Knebworth had the best sound.  I was at Knebworth once when the acts finished at 11pm because of the noise, but didn't get out of the park till 4am!  And that came very close to tears because people got upset when I drove along a grass verge because nothing had moved for several hours.  Them were the days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My son wasn't even 2 years old here. He was just sitting there and when I aimed my camera at him this is what he did. Say what ?? Ya... this behavior certainly left me scratching my head... how could he know ?

My son was born with the musical beat in his heart and has always only played his piano by ear... He is gifted to say the least. He is 17 now. The true spirit soul never ever dies....

weekendchallenge12.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jodi_Frye  wrote

weekendchallenge12.jpg

This is spectacular, Jodi! I love it! Bang on.

Now, I went directly from John Coltrane and '70s Miles Davis (an underrated period) to Sex Pistols and Talking Heads, and I never had any particular fondness for Pink Floyd. But the general impact of "Dark Side" has been impossible to miss, and it seems to me this image hits the album's sensibilites head on. It even adds to it in a strange - but strangely right - way. Beautiful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for your very awesome words !! I'm truly appreciative !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very nice Jodi - aside from the album cover, take the titles way and it is an excellent portrait in itself.

Terri - another very nice image and a completely different approach. What do you mean you know nothing about the band - where have you been hiding

What I love about these SFTW challenges is the wide range of approaches and ideas that come forward. Keep them coming.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Dave. It is a memorable photo !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great work Dave, Trevor, Terri and Jodi

Terri I can't believe you never heard of Pink Floyd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much Ged !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do ya get it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

Do ya get it?

Well it's a bit early in the morning, but it certainly made me laugh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's very funny. I didn't know Dave was also having an affair with Stormy Daniels-which will mean nothing if you didn't see last nights interview

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Terri+Stevens  wrote

That's very funny. I didn't know Dave was also having an affair with Stormy Daniels-which will mean nothing if you didn't see last nights interview

If ever two people were made for each other...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines