• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR Catalog not working, how can I save my collections?

Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2018 Mar 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My main catalog is not working properly.  I do have back ups of all my images with XMP's attached (phew) and I have created a new catalog to test if the old catalog was in fact the problem.  The new catalog works beautifully fast as it should.

My issue in creating the new catalog is two fold, first, my collections do not carry over (which contain my projects in progress) and secondly, my most recent back ups are also corrupt so I cannot draw the collections from using those back ups. I have years of work in my collections.  I realize I can further back in my back up files and open an older catalog, I'am just trying to explore other possibilities before I accept that some of my most recent work is not salvageable. 

I have tried using the LR backups to create a catalog but find the same problems.

1. Won't populate the folders consistently.  Sometimes they populate but then "loading" remains on the screen and no files ever appear.
  2. LR has changed the name of my root folder although this does not seem to impact the periodic populating of folders. I have attempted to "rename" in hopes of correcting the issue, but it won's respond.
  3. Will not import or export
  4. Essentially, wont do anything. 

Please Help!

Thank you,

Mic

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should add that this started soon after the latest LR update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While Lightroom can be set up to also write changes to xmp sidecar files for raw files and to the file header for tiff, jpeg and dng files, in addition to storing the data in the Catalog File, it does not store all the data to the files.

Info that is specific to lightroom is not copied to xmp. e.g Collections, Virtual Copies etc. Have a look at the article in the link below.

What Is Not Included In Lightroom XMP Files | Lightroom Fanatic

It is therefore vital and important to backup your Lightroom Catalog File to have all your Lightroom work secure.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2018 Mar 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I am familiar with these characteristics of LR....I was just hoping for another avenue that I had not explored.  Thank you all and will let you know the results. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes, this problem on Mac is due to the hard disk with your catalog being formatted in a specific way, but I do not know the details. You can search the forum for the information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you I will look into that further

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your operating system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac Osx El Capitan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would first try if the following method works: create a brand new catalog, then choose 'File - Import from Another Catalog' and choose the old catalog. If this works, you may have a proper catalog again without losing any collections. The only thing you'd have to restore is your publishing services (if you have any).

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a great idea!! I am going to try this today and will let you know the results!  The publishing is easy to fix. 

Thank you, Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wahooo! Thank you JohanEl54!!!

This appears to have worked like a charm!  You saved me a lot of time and heart ache.  Thank you so much for the suggestion!  Fortunately I set up my publishing to mirror my collections, so easy to repopulate. 

Thank you everyone for your input and added information.  So much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines