• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Total ink 250% CMYK... visible on screen + how find darkest pixel (PS-CS-6)?

New Here ,
Mar 25, 2018 Mar 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have document to print in CMYK with max ink of 250%.

-1a) I've set Adjusted CMYK in menu > Color setting ... max ink = 250%

wega.jpg

-2a) Select MENU > MODUS > CMYK

QUESTIONS:

1) easiest way to find darkest pixel in image?

2) above adjustment correct to get 250% ink-value in CMYK?

3) how to check ink-values after doing the 2 steps above (step 1a + 2a)? (with eyedropper?)

4) do I see on screen the adjusted ink values with eyedropper after adjustments or is the ink-value something "on background" in the pdf?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 25, 2018 Mar 25, 2018

This is an outdated and very uncertain way to do it. The modern way is icc profiles, and what they should have done is give you a CMYK profile to use. Profiles have max ink built in, so that when you convert to it you can't go over. However, subsequent adjustments may put you over again.

Anyway, you can preview ink limit in Acrobat and InDesign. In Photoshop I think the only way is to use the Info panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an outdated and very uncertain way to do it. The modern way is icc profiles, and what they should have done is give you a CMYK profile to use. Profiles have max ink built in, so that when you convert to it you can't go over. However, subsequent adjustments may put you over again.

Anyway, you can preview ink limit in Acrobat and InDesign. In Photoshop I think the only way is to use the Info panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/D+Fosse  schreef

Thanks D Fosse,

I will ask for icc profile...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If, to satisfy your curiosity, you would like to locate the darkest image point (not most ink volume*):

At the bottom of the Layers panel, select Adjustment Layer > Threshold. You will be presented with a histogram, and below it, a slider. Move the slider all the way to the left; the image area will go completely white. Inch the slider to the right until the first black patch appears.  Choose the Color Sampler tool to click on the patch. The Color Sampler will mark the site. You no longer need the Threshold layer, so drag it to the Trash. The point you marked will remain. You have now located and marked the darkest spot in the image. 

* For example: 70% cyan is darker than 100% yellow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

norman.sanders  schreef

If, to satisfy your curiosity, you would like to locate the darkest image point (not most ink volume*).........

Thanks for info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a “best practice” I don’t recommend changing total ink limit via selections/edits, however the following link does let you visualise where ink limits are exceeded and how much area is affected:

http://www.curvemeister.com/downloads/cmyk_tac/index.htm

I too agree with the other posts that this is best handled via an ICC profile or perhaps better a Deviclink ICC profile, converting from a source profile to a matching output profile (such as ISO Coated as source and ISO Coated 300% as a destination).

Keep in mind that despite the total ink limit being “baked into” the profile, different rendering intents may create a conversion greater than the ink limit in the profile (as can edits made in CMYK after the conversion).

For standard printing conditions, there are various total ink limit profiles available, however it all depends on the specific CMYK space in question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Stephen_A_Marsh  schreef

As a “best practice” I don’t recommend changing total ink limit .......................

Thanks for info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines